Which Bike For Beginner To Advance On With Experience

f1wade

Two strokes are easier to maintain, lighter in weight and a lot cheaper. It's common for beginners to think two strokes are harder to ride but the opposite is true. If you can go to a local trials event and check out what people are riding. Odds are you'll find several bikes for sale to try.

if you enjoy your trail riding then a big engine would be better, a 4 stroke would be perfect. A 125 can be difficult to ride as they have to be screamed to make them do anything useful.

The montesa and beta 4 bangers both produce a smooth strong power and bucket loads of torque and they really shift when you press the go button.

Unless your riding in dusty conditions then cost of running isn't much more than a 2 stroke. Engine rebuids tend to be few and between in the uk, especially with the mont. Regular oil and filter changes are a must, as is checking the valves. BUT, when they do go wrong they are expensive. Buy as new as you can afford.

• Like 1

I think the choise 2t or 4t mainly is based on your riding style, but also the bike determines your style. Only way to figure out is try. I dont think you can compare 2t/4t MX or enduro bikes with a trials bike so just go and ride some if you have the opportunity.

Also compared to other types or riding, a 2 stroke does not have many dissadvantages with trials. Soundwise, fuel consumption wise, wear etc. Only they do smoke a little bit ;)

Edited by crazybond700

hi thanks for all the feedback.

its not as easy for me to try them out as i depend on others letting me try theres, which i dont want to do as its there property.

so can you tell me the differences between 2t and 4t in how the machine is best ridden?

is it low revs for 4t and high for 2t, or is it more complicated than that?

If you are new to the sport, I would suggest you get yourself a nice 250 2 stroke and practice practice practice.

I know quite a few people who have tried the 4rt and struggled whereas most guys will jump on a 250 gasgas beta sherco and just get on with it.

Once you have the basics mastered then think about how the bike is holding you back but a 2T won't !

Good luck

hi thanks for all the feedback.

its not as easy for me to try them out as i depend on others letting me try theres, which i dont want to do as its there property.

so can you tell me the differences between 2t and 4t in how the machine is best ridden?

is it low revs for 4t and high for 2t, or is it more complicated than that?

Don't worry about borrowing a bike and trying it... people in this sport are dying to get more people into it and are more than willing to let people "have a go". I was letting everyone ride my brand new Sherco when I got it. These are not shined up trophy bikes these are real work bikes designed to take a kicking and keep on ticking. drive a couple of really tight circles a few figure eights pop a few wheelies and stoppies hop up and down on it... you are not going to hurt it.

My very first experience on a trials bike was in the dealer parking lot... I went to shift gears but not being used to taking my foot off the peg to shift I lost my balance and did a head plant into the pavement - everyone had a huge laugh!   

• Like 2