Road Registering 2012 Jota Gas - Just About To Give Up!

As it says in the title!  I wanted to road register my bike so I could insure it tpf&t, I'm not that interested in riding it on the road.  Maybe the odd road trial and a few local green lanes.

I sent the V55 Application form off with insurance, MOT and a letter from Steve Saunders (who has been very helpful) stating that when the bike was imported (in 2012), the NOVA system was not in place.

I also note that Steve Saunders has supplied a V267 (Declaration that a vehicle is new) to the DVLA since my original application.  I can only assume the DVLA asked him for this themselves.

I got a reply today rejecting my application for the following:

"The original type approval certificate was not enclosed".  I have looked on www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval and have no idea how to obtain this for my JotaGas.  Figures of £100 seem to be banded about on the website though!

"Following a check, a NOVA' is necessary" Again, I looked on www.hmrc.gov.uk/nova and again have no idea how to obtain this for my JotaGas.   It looks like I need an account before I can apply for a certificate.  I spent 30 minutes waiting for the help line (0300 200 3700 @ 9p/min) to answer without success, then gave up!

"Your Identity Documents were not enclosed".  I didn't look into this but am assuming this is a simple fix with a copy of photo ID or similar.

It looks like it has become more trouble than it's worth.  I now have the insurance company chasing me for a registration number to replace the temporary frame number they issued the certificate on.

It's a shame because I think all bikes that can be registered should be to make it easier to trace stolen bikes.  Beta seem to road register a lot of their bikes for this reason.

Any help or words of encouragement before I throw the towel in would be appreciated.

Bruce.

Hello brucey,

If its just for insurance cover I'd try a company that specializes in this. Doodsons do this and they also cover your bike whilst at trials, (when locked up)

They also cover tools. Save yourself the £100 and more trying to sort that out. This company know what they are doing and understand about competition bikes not having reg numbers. Just 1 possible solution. Good luck

Tom

I managed to register my 1982 Fantic 240 and am just about to register my 1991 Fantic 309. I got the necessary notification of vehicle arrival (NOVA) numbers from HM Revenue and Customs.

All you need is a form. I phoned them directly and asked for them to email it to me to print off. I have a copy of the email if you want me to send it to you? You can print it off if you have a colour printer and send it off. They will send you a copy on request if that easier.

They'll turn your application round in a few weeks and with the NOVA number you can then send your V55/5 off again no problem. 

Also, if you read my pinned registration guide on the forum, (It's next to your post)  it says about type approval http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/54839-road-registering-guide/.   Note. On Type Approval put "Exempt Trials Motorcycle".

If the bike was imported by Steve then he will have the NOVA reference number to prove that duty was paid.

Think your find that's all you need. See link for full details.   Let us know how you get on..  

Edited by gasserguy

try these guys http://www.dvlaadvice.co.uk/and pay the £40 .00 admin fee to them and he will get it on the nova data base instantly same day

,send your v55 from and insurance details  and copy of any paper work to verify model and dates, enclose payment for first reg fee and copy of driver licence and utility bill to prove your address and id then the dvla will check the nova data base using your name and address and bike details then they

send you a log book

also put a cover letter to say that duty has been payed  

try these guys http://www.dvlaadvice.co.uk/and pay the £40 .00 admin fee to them and he will get it on the nova data base instantly same day

,send your v55 from and insurance details and copy of any paper work to verify model and dates, enclose payment for first reg fee and copy of driver licence and utility bill to prove your address and id then the dvla will check the nova data base using your name and address and bike details then they

send you a log book

also put a cover letter to say that duty has been payed

These guys are very good

I managed to register my 1982 Fantic 240 and am just about to register my 1991 Fantic 309. I got the necessary notification of vehicle arrival (NOVA) numbers from HM Revenue and Customs.

All you need is a form. I phoned them directly and asked for them to email it to me to print off. I have a copy of the email if you want me to send it to you? You can print it off if you have a colour printer and send it off. They will send you a copy on request if that easier.

They'll turn your application round in a few weeks and with the NOVA number you can then send your V55/5 off again no problem. 

Fantic240,

I managed to road register my Tiger Cub with an age related Number Plate about 3 years ago with no problem. 

I think the problem with my 2012 JotaGas is that it was imported by Steve Saunders at around the same time the NOVA requirements were just being introduced and it wasn't registered.  Looking at the other responses I can do this retrospectively.  I just don't want to be saddled with an import tax bill!. 

I'll have another go at phoning them if I don't go down the dvla advice route.

Also, if you read my pinned registration guide on the forum, (It's next to your post)  it says about type approval http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/54839-road-registering-guide/.   Note. On Type Approval put "Exempt Trials Motorcycle".

If the bike was imported by Steve then he will have the NOVA reference number to prove that duty was paid.

Think your find that's all you need. See link for full details.   Let us know how you get on..  

Thanks Gasserguy. 

I did read your guide and it was very helpful.  I seem to have fallen at the last hurdle!

It's good to know that trials bikes are exempt from Type Approval as I was imagining all sorts of things on that one! (especially after owning a couple of kit cars in the past).

Steve wrote a covering letter saying that the bike was imported before the NOVA requirements were in place but the DVLA didn't accept this and advised me that I need to get the bike NOVA registered myself.

Very tempted to go the dvlaadvice.co.uk route as they could save me a lot of grief for a reasonable fee.

When I contacted HMRC they didn't seem to know anything about acquiring a NOVA reference for a trials bike as old as mine. Sounded like I either was speaking to a member of staff that wasn't familiar with this area or it isn't something they often get requested. I know this NOVA thing is fairly new but it didn't sound promising. They said fill in the form and we'll look into it. I feared the worst, either refusal or a VAT/duty bill to pay but a few weeks later back came a reference and I could get my V55/5 off. 

It's not like anyone doesn't want you to register your bike it's just not easy until you've worked out what hoops you have to jump through. 

I did try a few times to contact the dlvaadvive people via phone and email but no reply so that's when I started trying to do it myself. They were my first move when I wanted to reg my 240 as I know a friend of mine used them to register his Fantic 200 and they were excellent.