Potentially Stupid Question Alert!

maggar

My original ossa gripper had telesco shocks and the springs were powder coated orange, they did start to peel off after perhaps 8 months of use. I would think you need a flexible type of paint.        Steve.

I have painted the springs on original Reflex shocks with good results and no flaking.  I sand blasted them first and then used standard

rustolem spray primer and paint.  Getting paint to stick to chrome may be mre difficult.

• 4 weeks later...

The issue with powdercoat is once it gets scratched or cut through it allows moisture to get in and it holds it beneath ,then one day a large chunk of powdercoat peals off and you are left with a rusty mess,lots of automotive coil springs have snapped because of rust through. I like epoxy paints best for their toughness.

Can't water get under scratched paint as easily as it can under scratched powder coat though? Given that powder coat is harder to scratch it still seems the better option to me.

Anyway time will tell and, as they're Rock Shocks, I can always save up for new springs next time.