Montesa Trial Mechanic Paco Mateo Photo Interview

gasgas249uk

A short while ago i got to meet the longest serving Montesa competition Mechanic Paco Mateo  at his home in Tarragona. He worked with Montesa from 1957 untill 1999 in thier competition / development department .

Paco was mechanic to late Diego Bosis in 1985 / 6, Philipe Berlatier in 1987 /88, Amos Bilbao in 1993 and 94, Andreu Codina in 1983,84,85 and 1986, 2 times World Champion Marc Colomer in 1990, 91 and 1992, 3 times World Champion Eddy Lejeune in 1989, Rob Crawford during 1991, World Champion Ulf Karlson from 1976 through to 1982, 3 times World champion Vrjo Vesterinan in 1970 and 1980, Pascal Couturier in 1989, Thierry Girard during 1990 and Gabino Renales in 1988, 89 and 1990 as well as Pere Pi.

He is a popular guy and pretty much mothered the younger riders as he accompanied them around around the World .

In addition back in the early days Paco worked with ....and watched Paco Bulto leave Montesa to start his own firm .....in controversial circumstances.  He prepared the Montesa's for the legendary 1962 operation Impala and also one for the president of Honda.

He's done and seen a lot and if your interested i wrote up the interview for my hobby website 

http://www.retrotrials.com/interview-with-trial-montesa-mechanic-paco-mateo.html

Photo - courtesy of the Permanyer family.

P3270213_zpsn3lfxloo.jpg

• Like 4

WOW !!! AGAIN ! :)

I do wish you had a page selector button on top of your article pages , so when I get interrupted reading @ work , I can get right back to where I had to leave off !!!

Thanks again for your time and effort in your hobby .

Glenn

• Like 1

Yes...straight into MBX's.

Montesa boss Jordi Permanyer was the son of the founder Pere. Jordi negotiated the deal with Honda and the subsequent integration . He stayed with Montesa / Honda for many years after....so saw the old ...the new ..and all the change. He's as cool as a cucumber. He'd be good at poker ...his eyes dont tell you anything.

The family motorcycle collection is simply incredible. Ive photoed it all for the interview ive got coming out with him.