When Was This?

laird387

Hi,

A puzzle picture for the Bultaco afficianados.

When was this taken (the bike was new at the time - it is not a trick question) by Charles, later to become European Champion.

One clue, there could be cherry trees in the area................

Over to you.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-74871300-1438874842_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Strange yokes,re. two clamp bolts on top, single on lower?? Alpina front end??

Cant see enough of the frame, but by the tank separate from seat & shape says (to me),

M158 or later. " New bike at the time" ?

Not up on what alloy tanks for European, but paint not std Bultaco.

Front end mystery?? I am completely in the dark as to the rider,but I know someone will know!

Derek thanks for the contribution.

Larry

Hi Guy's.

Have not got a clue.

But I want them overalls.

1967 was the last time I had some like  that.

Loved the Italian design??

Anyway just found some , and made in Britain,

Going to get some for the MGP. ( and some Proban treated ones )? (Health and safety)

Happy Days Again.

Regards Charlie.

I would think Rod is very right on the bike right down to the tape on the down tube.

"Works Bultaco" speaks volumes as to the front forks .

Tank & air box appear to be a sign of things to come.

Good go

Larry

Hi,

Many thanks for the help in spotting the year, the photograph depicted Barry Robinson, who in 1974 was an expert trials rider in the Yorkshire centre, being given a chance to ride Malcolm Rathmell's current works Bultaco up one of Malcolm's practice sections in the stream below the Rathmell family home, Cherry Tree Cottage.

The photographer was Charles (yes, it is M C Rathmell) using Barry's camera, which in those days was manual focus and didn't include a coupled light meter, so was a very credible photographic result.

The wellington's in both photographs were known as Dunlop Safety wellingtons, they had a steel toe cap incorporated in the rubber and also steel reinforcement in the insole area.  They were an affordable (often because they were issued by your workplace) alternative to the 'de riguer' ex-Fireman's boots sometimes available from Millets stores.

In the archive we have lots of close-up shots of various bits of the bike, which will be used in a feature in ORRe later.

Enjoy

PS.   I've just checked in my garden shed and my reasonably current gardening wellies, bought a couple of years ago, are just the same as we used in trials way back then, they have the logo 'JOB MASTER' on them.

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi Charlie,

You asked about the overalls - well according to the Offroad Classic Motorcycle Sport Reference Library (some call it ORRe for short) the overalls seen in the picture were standard issue to crew members of Townsend-Thoresen Ferries (now part of P & O) where Barry Robinson earned his crust as the Catering Equipment Engineer when he wasn't busy playing with motorcycles. You can see their logo above the breast pocket.

The Dunlop wellies, modern version, are still available as Catalogue No WHC 462843 if anyone is interested.

Enjoy.

Deryk.

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi Guy's.

Hi Deryk.

I was looking for some of the overalls this morning for the pit crew in the IOM and found some that might do our job for the two Proban pairs needed, on a Catering site.

The other pair  have to be to FIA8856-2000 standard and are a arm and a leg, but saying that, you may still have the two limbs with these overalls in a fire situation.

Trials riding still seems to be the cheapest option but still we moan.

Regards Charlie.