Sy/tys 125 Questions

hario

Hi all,

Im in the market for my first proper trials bike and i really like the idea of the little fourstroke scorpas

They appeal mainly as i want something reliable that can ideally also do double duty for some slow trail riding/green lanes. The simplicity of them also really appeals to me.

Another big factor for me is noise, im fortunate enough to have a couple acres of garden and would love to practice out there, but not if it annoys everyone in the area!

I was wondering how this sounds to any owners of the little scorpas out there? How noisy are these bikes compared to 2t trials machines?

I was also wondering how much i should be concerned about the different versions, these come up for sale pretty rarely so im reluctant to pass up on one unless the 175/200 versions, or hydraulic clutch/longride etc. models are really worth the wait.

Ive also noticed the later models (orange ones?) have non yamaha branded engines, and elec start. Does the electric boot add much weight, and are the engine internals interchangeable with the genuine yamaha motor?

Sorry for all the questions, my usual google sleuthing doesn't produce much info on these bikes.

Unfortunately it's generally the case that these bikes have had most of the internals removed from the silencer as it's acknowledged as necessary to get them to perform. Being fourstroke the sound carries more than a properly silenced two stroke so you might get complaints, though there are worse for this effect.

Unfortunately it's generally the case that these bikes have had most of the internals removed from the silencer

I had noticed this mentioned a lot in ads, that's a bit of a bummer, might even be a deal breaker :mellow:

Just when i thought i had settled on a bike!

Do you happen to know if its a complex silencer or just a perforated core with plates welded in to deflect gasses into the packing? Might be able to reverse the process.

i;ve had a 163 since they first came out late 06.

Best bike I;ve owned done 100 or so trials (Including Scott) and countless plays probably runs better than the day I bought it.

Totally stock so it's pretty quiet,can't see the silencer being any big deal looks really basic like the rest of the bike.

It's a hoot to ride the biggest drawback is lack of ground clearance.

As you say no many around, 163 (200 is still 163) is the one to have.

Good on the road too and a fair range for a trials bike.

You can;t go wrong with one.

Don't know anything about the new ones look more trail based.

Cheers the noo.

The silencer is just a straight through perforated tube with 2 or 3 8mm rods welded across it at right angles to each other, with packing round the tube filling out the exhaust can. There is no baffle assembly as such.

I'd say they're quieter than a 2t at idle, mine doesn't have the 8mm rods in (the mod is to remove them) but doesn't seem loud unless you're nailing it on a tarmac road.

They're not to everyone's taste, lack of ground clearance seems a bugbear. The power's fine for your standard B route sections despite what people might say.

They make an ideal green laner, you get about 50 miles to a tank if you're just doing tracks etc.

They're bulletproof reliable, it's not used much now but my 125 has taken a hammering over the last 10 years and cost me next to nothing.

Breagh will be along soon I'm sure to comment on the larger ones, he took a 163 round the Scott a number of years ago and knows the bikes well.

Noticed that the starter is at the front of the engine on the latest ones, not sure how well it's protected. Not sure where the battery lives either, don't think an electric boot would be worth the effort, you can start the 125s with your hand once they're hot.

Craig

Thanks for the detailed replies, im really liking what i hear :D

Its good to know the silencer is simple enough, im sure i can sort it out if the only ones i find are de-restricted.

out of interest how much does the fuel tank hold? I would generally want 70 or so miles on a day on the lanes, so wondering how much extra fuel i might need to carry.

I'm curious about what sort of speeds you coax out of the bikes on road as well, i ride green lanes with others and don't want to hold people up too much.

As for the later models, unless im missing something they seem to combine being more expensive (newer) with having a superfluous elec start system and a bit of an unknown engine in the unbranded ttr clone so i guess i will give them a miss

Edited by hario

On 12/57 gearing about 48mph flat out on the 125, normally 10/57 for trials. It will sit at 40-odd all day long. 12 tooth on the front is fine for green laning, I used an 11 for years observing at the SSDT, never had a problem getting anywhere.

Think I once measured the tank at 2.6 litres, if you work on 20 miles per litre pottering on the green lanes it's not far off. My mate used a Hebo auxy tank on his to extend the range but it's not compatible if you have the lighting kit fitted.

I saw one up at the pre 65 a couple of years ago that had a home made alloy tank and seat fitted to make it into a good LDT machine.