Fan Time

sean65

I actually managed to have a proper go on the bike at the weekend. Quite a hot day. How quickly would onenormally expect the fan to come on. Some water out of the overflow but i had topped up.

No sign if fan. Rode in 5 min bursts. Is it time to read the above fan post? Lol

From cold, id say sometime between 5 and 10 minutes. Once warm id say you should have the fan coming on numerous times in 5 minute rides. 

Have you tried bypassing the thermostat to make sure it isnt the faulty part?

varies on a number of factors. my fairly new gasgas fan only came on once during a hot evening trial! where as in a cold trial it was on alot of the time. this is because of the different style of riding for each condition.  some times it will come on after a couple of mins sometimes it will take longer just depends. 

any way a few months later i had an issue , i noticed the fan hadn't run in a long time and the top of the radiator was spitting out alot of steam and water once at operating temp. also had lost lights and electrics except the spark plug obviously because the bike was running. turned out to be a faulty voltage regulator. i disconnected it and used the bike with out it for a while just being careful not to over rev it with the fan on because will burn it out etc. once new part arrived all good and worked like normal again. as faussy said above check the thermostat too but also check the voltage regulator. ( not the big black box the other smaller one with a white connection and not many wires coming out of it .  check both andlet us know how u get on

If it's like most bikes use 2 spade terminals with a short piece of wire, unplug the thermoswitch & fit the wire in place of it to make the fan run fulltime. It's something I've carried for years when trail riding on my trials bike & most of the other guys do the same to get us home if the thermoswitch fails

Well the good news. The fan works when a 12v current is attached, spinning nice and quietly. The bad that once the wires on the thermostat are connected it doesn't seem to want to, so not such an obvious quick fix. I will post some pictures to see what your thoughts are.    There needs to be live feed from somewhere. The yellow? If I could only do a temp fix that would be great and I will take the bike away with me.

I will take some wire and spade connectors. :lol:

post-21440-0-33838500-1439878665_thumb.jpg

post-21440-0-88722100-1439878672_thumb.jpg

post-21440-0-37381300-1439878682_thumb.jpg

post-21440-0-19642100-1439878694_thumb.jpg

post-21440-0-55303400-1439878707_thumb.jpg

Are you not basically saying the thermostat is faulty?? Or are you saying that when the bike is running and you short circuit the thermostat the fan wont work? Thermostats are such a common failure on that age of gg its the first thing id go to.

A word of warning, running the fan continuously will burn the motor out in no time, maybe your temporary fix should contain an on off switch...

Edited by faussy

Those thermostats die somethimes, out of expierence. The newer once inside the radiator are better (at least for me).

Like mentioned above two wires and a switch will work for tempurary but I would advise a new thermo!

Edited by crazybond700

I agree with the switch. We were going to do that last night. However, if it was just the thermostat then bypassing the two wires would set the fan running. It didn't,  but if I knew where the power was coming from (yellow?) I could use a length of wire and spades, could I not?

Is that a txt? This wiring diagram looks abouts right. If its not the fan nor the thermostat the next thing to check would be the rectifier (the small black box you are holding in your hand). Time to get the multimeter out

post-20677-0-96619700-1439929516_thumb.jpg