For Better Or Worse?

dadof2

Not so sure that the recession hasnt skewed the hanging on of the older riders too, but in essence alot of youngsters have not progressed as they might have once have. Certainly the french have all but disappeared and they were very big on stop allowed, Moret pops up this last year and gets in above dibs in one round, so yes maybe, but all a bit hypothetical.

we must have some sympathy with gomez gubian wigg gratterolla morris bethune and others of that generation that for 10 years growing up in the sport had one set of rules which they liked (generally) then when they came up to the top route someone moved the goal posts

I do remember back in 07 08 having rounds with 50 plus riders and most of all was youths, this year theres been rounds of less than 6.

Back on track, maybe Fajardo was never going to build on his one and only win in Andorra but youd have thought by now Fuji and Cabby would have moved away from the big stuff.

So Dibs and Fajardo are much where they were 5 years ago.

• Like 1

If you look at the World Cup entries this year, a lot of the "youths" in the 16-18 age group have made the jump directly into the blue line rather than riding green. So not sure looking at youth entries this year is an apples to apples comparison.

The young guys are making the jump to the 300 now that they are not limited by the rules, and I don't think you will find it is harming them much! In some ways, it's better they get on the big bike sooner and learn throttle control and how to use the full range of power, rather that the pure rev and go 125 style.

• Like 2

Regarding recent BTC, Would Roberts have beaten Dabill if they had both been on Beta?

Disregarding Fajaro for a moment, I still have a suspicion that Dabill would have been more likely to have gained a top 6 WTC place on a Beta than on the Vertigo although he has had a very good single lap on the Vertigo. Be interesting if he were ever to compare the bikes from a completely neutral position.

Regarding recent BTC, Would Roberts have beaten Dabill if they had both been on Beta?

Disregarding Fajaro for a moment, I still have a suspicion that Dabill would have been more likely to have gained a top 6 WTC place on a Beta than on the Vertigo although he has had a very good single lap on the Vertigo. Be interesting if he were ever to compare the bikes from a completely neutral position.

Without a doubt Dibs is currently the best wtc rider we have in the UK (obvious) hes never done much better than his current position and having seen him ride 4Rt, Beta and gas Gas up close in wtc maybe slightly better on the gasser.

Whether hes putting as much into the riding as he now has a secure lucrative contract and young family plus another on the way(?) is very hypothetical, but with all his bikes being "factory" i doubt one make or another will make much difference to his final position, surely? Which takes us back to the original post, no Fajardo and Dabill are the same as they ever were.

Not sure what your anti-vertigo agenda is but efi is working fine looking at how the bike performs.

Edited by nigel dabster

If you've won everything else, why wouldn't you take the challenge the SSDT poses ?

Money.

The SSDT doesnt carry the status around the world as some people think, and certainly not what it did in the past.

Right, I've spoken to a few friends and we are prepared to help Bou with his entry fee, if that's the sticking point.

• Like 3

Without a doubt Dibs is currently the best wtc rider we have in the UK (obvious) hes never done much better than his current position and having seen him ride 4Rt, Beta and gas Gas up close in wtc maybe slightly better on the gasser.

Whether hes putting as much into the riding as he now has a secure lucrative contract and young family plus another on the way(?) is very hypothetical, but with all his bikes being "factory" i doubt one make or another will make much difference to his final position, surely? Which takes us back to the original post, no Fajardo and Dabill are the same as they ever were.

Not sure what your anti-vertigo agenda is but efi is working fine looking at how the bike performs.

"Lucrative" that must be relative.

If you look at the World Cup entries this year, a lot of the "youths" in the 16-18 age group have made the jump directly into the blue line rather than riding green. So not sure looking at youth entries this year is an apples to apples comparison.

The young guys are making the jump to the 300 now that they are not limited by the rules, and I don't think you will find it is harming them much! In some ways, it's better they get on the big bike sooner and learn throttle control and how to use the full range of power, rather that the pure rev and go 125 style.

I always thought the opposite regarding 125cc, certainly at a lower level. Having a lack of power helps develop technique, riders need to work the suspension and use more body movement rather than opening the throttle and hitting hard.

• Like 2

Getting a bit off thread but need to state that I have no anti Vertigo agenda, I wish JD, DL and the Vertigo every success. I just believe that EFI is an unnecessary complication whatever 2T off road bike it may be fitted to.

Off topic but I think efi will be like like going from drum brakes to disc.once the moves made you wont want to go back.

These electric bikes too.can't say I'm excited but if the wee boys Oset is anything to go by things will change. 

Now you no longer need to be some sore of home grown mechanic to keep things gong.

Easier to learn on too by a mile.

The hinges on the door of room 101 are being oiled ready to take in all these old petrol things!

• Like 1