2014 250 - Airbox To Keihin - What's The Knack?

francley50

Apologies for asking because I'm sure this must've been covered before....

I'm finding it a real pain getting the air box hose round the rear shock and onto the back of the carb.

It seems difficult to line everything up and when I tighten the hose clamp it pulls the hose away from the far side of the carb. 

(Have ordered a new hose as the old one is a bit mangled).

Can anyone advise me of the 'knack' of lining it all up, please?

Many thanks.

i had this issue so bady until i figured out what to do haha. even missed a trial because  of it!  you want to put a little bit of grease around the carb where the hose slides onto. and also a little bit in the hose. smear it round( dont use lots, just enough to help it slide on) .  try putting it on now, if it does not go on easily now try this - try getting the side closest to the shock on first. this makes it easier to get it all on becuase the shock side is the hardest. to do this loosen the clip at the read block side so the carb can move around slightly more. then rest the airbox in its position, lightly, dont get bolting it all in yet, you want to be able to move the airbox around abit. now you want to pull the back end of the carb towards you a little. hold it there and move the airbox into place and then push the carb back so the shock side of the hose will go onto the carb first and then it all should clip in nicely . i had lots of trouble with this and once i got the knack it was easy.  hope you can make sense of that :) 

• Like 1

On the older ones it was also a struggle with the dellorto. I have bought a alu spacer that solves the problem. (normally they have got a plastic spacer that does not work right). The designer probably ran into the bike with a piece of clay and created the shape of the airbox, lol.

What can also help is to slighty heaten up the rubber so it will be more flexible to push it on.

Once you have done it some times it will get easier :)

Edited by crazybond700

Weirdly i find it quite easy (agree with the dellorto being a pain). I force the airbox on first without paying attention to the hose, until the airbox is roughly lined up with the four bolt holes. I always find the plastic angled bits on the front bottom of the airbox to be a pain. Then from the side i hold the carb in my left and the back of the airbox with my right and pull it towards the card. Having the front manifold clip loosened helps, and as said above pulling the carb outwards a bit so that the shock side of the hose slides on first. And a drop of oil smeared round the inside of the hose.

Id rather refit 5 airboxs than trying to get the silencer end cap back on after repacking!!!!

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

I prefer spraying the inside of the boot with some silicone spray versus using grease.  Silicone makes the rubber slippery but dry.  I always have the carb loose as well so I can move it around a bit and try to get the far side started first.  Once done I always take a look to make sure the 'ear' on the boot is out on the far side so I know I didn't get the boot folded in, but when it's correct you can feel it slip on nicely vs. needing to force it on.  Before I got the hang of it I did spend about 20 minutes just on that step once, and it still takes a few tries now and again.  Worse on my kids bike due to a fatter aftermarket shock, so the stock one seems real easy now.