Twinshock Clutch Plates Query...

cosmikdebriis

The Frontera uses different plates from the Sherpa, they are thinner which is why there are more

Be careful how much you back the nuts off as they run very close to the inside of the casing and can catch when the motor is running, even if they appear to have clearance when setting up. I reduce the depth of the adjuster nuts on my bikes to about half their original depth so that there is no issue with clearance when backing them off

good tip woody, do you still wire them?

• 2 months later...

• 8 months later...

To return to this rather old topic...

In the end I used friction plates from some sort of generic Jap 125 and they worked a treat (though I did gave to file down the tangs a bit to fit the basket).

Problem is, I now also own a 350 Sherpa trials outfit with a slipping clutch and am considering the same mod but... Can't remember which Jap 125 plates I used.

Anyone got any idea?

The plates you need were used on lots of different Japanese bikes eg. 98 - 01 KX80, Honda VF500C and VF500F, 86 - 94 CBR250RR, CRF150, XL200, 81 - 82 CR125, CB125, 01 - 15 KX85 and many others. You just need to file the lugs a little narrower. I like the CBR250R version best as it has a bigger ID and a narrower contact ring - less drag, more grip with the same or less spring pressure.

There's a commonly held belief that Type F ATF is the best oil to use in a Bul clutch. My testing showed it was no better than any other ATF, and all of the ATFs gave less holding capacity than a non-friction-modified engine oil. The best I tested was Castrol Power 1 4T 5w-40.

Edited by oldjohnno

• 6 months later...