Rev3- Rewiring Ground

wayneniner

I just wanted to confirm with others who have done this "mod" or are familiar with the procedure...I read the Dan Williams document but without pictures I am not %100 confident I understand correctly.

Do I want to cut off this round thing, splice proper length of wire, connect another round thing...and then(see below):

20150827_122025_zpsq9fbw4zl.jpg

Mount the new round thing here? (under regulator mounting nut, closest to frame)

20150827_122103_zpswgyrloj7.jpg

Edited by wayneniner

Ordered a new kill switch:

Will I just wire up a new ground wire directly to the ignition coil ground?  Is it ok if the new kill switch ground is touching the brown wire's connector/round thing? 

(blue connector piece simulates where new kill switch ground will be attached to)

20150826_183416_zpsdfxlo4m5.jpg

The white/black wire in the top left corner is the kill switch "positive" in the original connector/harness....

Do I want to take it out of the connector(cut it), splice proper length of wire(if needed), add bullet connector and then attach to the new kill switch positive lead?  tap into the wire without removing from original connector? 

(multimeter probe is pointing to the kill switch ground...kill switch positive is top left corner white/black)

20150827_122505_zpsxjczelkr.jpg

Speaking of the original black ground wire in the connector(where probe is pointing to)....do i want to leave that in there? or take out and heat shrink to prevent contact?  

I do plan on keeping the original connector plugged into the light switch and using the lights/horn. 

Edited by wayneniner

I cut the round lug off so I could fish it back down the harness and attach it to a hard frame ground with another lug that I soldered on. I think I ran a separate wire up through the harness to the kill switch from another hard ground and tied it to the other ground wires at the bottom of the harness. I don't have that bike anymore but that's what I remember. Having all the grounds tie to that one lug on the triple clamp was the dumbest wiring mistake I've seen a factory make.