Trials Pants Vs...something Else?

fivebrick

I'd like to understand the advantage and need for trials specific trousers/pants. Not trying to be smart or a wise guy here...I am really asking to learn. The trials pants seem really snug and tight to the legs and hips. I understand we don't want extra fabric for no reason, so a minimalist approach is best perhaps? Are most of the pants water and sweat resistant? Any info at all on the pros and cons of a specific trials pant appreciated. Seems a decent pair range from 80-170 USD. Worth it?

Really? You live in Arizona. Every rock and bush will tear a pair of wimpy trials gear in one crash. Let alone your leg. Buy MX gear and remove all the labels and pads. Better to slide than a trip to the ER. I hate to say, but I laugh every time a guy crashes wearing trials pajamas. Just silly in the terrain we ride. 

• Like 2

For in the summer long MTB downhill pants, enough place for (knee) protection and made from very light material compared to enduro pants for instance.

There are also fairly water resistant ones available or you can treat them to make them water repellent.

S3 and Clice have some water resistant trial/enduro pants.

Otherwise regular Hebo trials pants. If you don't like them to be too snug, buy a size larger,that's what I did.

Edited by guys

MX trousers will be more durable than trials, but i wouldnt say they have improved protection. MX trousers have no knee protection whatsoever so if you use them you will need some form of this underneath.

Edited by faussy

Mx pants if you're on a budget.  mx pants only have two points of stretch to them, bend above the knee straight and a little at the waist. Mx pants do not like to stretch between the legs from a spread out dab or running out of a crash. Jitsie's t-2 pant is as close to a Mx pant in terms as protection you can get but much more flexible and lighter. Sometimes a little stretch in the right area at the right time can make all the difference.

Shorts.........that's the solution.

comfortable, flexible, cool.

I have a pair of camo cargo shorts and a pair of MX pants that the legs zip off to become shorts.

Trials boots cover the shins so there is just a bit of skin exposed between top of boots and the shorts.

It also helps that I wear a knee brace for arthritis on the exhaust side.

It works for me, not for everybody.   But I am not quite right in the head.

• Like 2

I made the mistake of taking off my gear to go score comfortably. I quit bleeding 30 days later. 3 layers of stitches, a drain and a p****d off wife. Turns out the old Beta starters are quite sharp. And my wife is still mad 20 years later about the bed sheets! :rotfl:   

• Like 3

I wear alpinestars mx gear and some sixsixone mtb kneepads. Never felt as though I don't have enough flexibility, jumped off the bike a few times to save my a**. Plus you can bulldoze thorny vegetation out of the way without too much worry for your skin. Can't relate to the heat in Arizona, the gear works well in year round soggy conditions here :D

And the part which is exposed is exactly the part of skin where the exhaust hits your leg, I got prove of that. Thought a bike was cool, but it was already started for some minutes before, and I pushed it with my leg. Ouch.

Yep, I wear a large metal knee brace on the leg that is on the exhaust side.................................................so I have a few burns on the other leg from exhaust though.

Like I said "I am not quite right in the head"

• Like 1