Fork Seals

trial_master

My right fork seal went on saturday, and the left looks very corroded and about to go. As a complete spaner monkey novice, how do i go about changing this.

I once did it on a CG125 and made a complete mess of it, first off i could not get the seal to sit properly next i could not get the same amount of oil in both legs. Yes i did empty them both and poor in same amount, but they just dint stop at the same level. But i did it off my own back and did not ask for help off anyone.

So i want to do this one right. Anyone know where i can get an idiots guide to do it? Oh yea its an 02 sherco 290

Thanks

Ryan

Old Broken record Al Bechard here,,,

Go to www.rypusa.com

Go to Sherco

Go to manuals

Complete with circles and diagrams and arrows to be used as evidence against us in a court of law..... Blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth.

If you dont get it, never mind.

Edited by Alan Bechard

If you don't get your head round it Ryan, take it to one of the local dealers. It usually costs around 50 quid to have both seals done. Its worth the extra cash if you can spare it not to have the frustration of doing battle, not knowing for sure if you're making a decent job of it or not.

When you get them done - either by yourself or whomever - I got a good tip from Telecat at a trial recently. When you've finished riding for the day, give the fork tube (the bit that slides up and down - sorry, not good on technical terms!) a spray with some WD40, and bounce the forms up and down a few times. You will probably get a 'high tide' mark of muck and dust. Wipe it off, spray again with WD40 and repeat a few times until nice and clean.

Works a treat. I used to do fork seals in on a regular basis, but the last lot have lasted me loads longer than normal just for a bit of care before the bike goes in the garage.

Cheers

Chris Mo.