4T Rear Shock

stanmet

I think most later Beta shocks are Fisher Price!!!  Why can't they fit a decent one, The Factory lookalike models are supposed to have a better shock but I think that's marketing BS. The proper factory bikes are running a Showa or TRP I believe.

It is a Sachs as standard.

Edited by steve_earle

Nothing wrong with the Sachs shock as long as you get the right spring for your weight. Taking a light spring and twisting up the preload to compensate for a big guy will destroy your dampening abilities and ruin the shock. Most standard bikes are sprung for about 165 to 175 pounds.

• Like 1

A proper sprung and set up shock will work and do the job as mine is, But having changed from a Gas Gas with the 3 way Reiger the Beta shock is terrible. A friend has fitted a Reiger to his Evo and it's transformed the bike. I need to save some pennies and get one!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree the stock suspension is fine. Who would this rider be you speak of?

Ray Peters. Here`s the results of our last event. His scores are the lower right under the Master class. After two days of riding he smoked our top riders. Nothing new there, but he was riding a 2015 Beta 80 at 8000 ft of elevation.  That`s right he killed it on a stock 80cc. I think a stock shock will work well for 99% of riders !

scoreboard_zpsbbkopqc5.jpg

• Like 2

That is true, but the same rider normally rides a Beta 4t. I have spent an afternoon on his bike. Anyone that has ever been on his bike will say that his suspension is the best feeling suspension they have ever felt. All stock. The motor on the other hand is very far from a stock machine. So correct set up is the key to getting the most out of your machine.

• Like 1

It is a very capable machine for it's size and I can see why the rider in question, If good enough could beat the big bikes on it.

With the right rider on board it can go places that others can't on bigger bikes, I found that out this weekend.

The stock shock on the New 80 is a Paioli unit like the one used on the Rev 3 and very good in the 80 as it's been set up and sprung well from the factory. 

Different story on the bigger Evo's as Beta have revised it every year and have changed to a newer design Sachs unit now.

I don't think the stock shock is that great. They don't last and aren't rebuildable. I had shock failures on the my last 2 Evos. My friend's went bad right away as well. The older Evo's in the club have no damping. They are like pogo sticks. Yes, they have tweaked the valving. They do work decent when new. Especially the '13. There is a reason why the '15's have a new design shock that holds more oil and is serviceable. It's still can't hold a candle to the performance of a TRP.