Hydraulics, Do We Need Them?

dadof2

Since its been implied I am a luddite (regarding EFI) and the number who have problems with hydraulics I thought I would start tis thread.

Do we need hydraulic brakes and clutches on trials bikes?

I have never had to retire from an event either trials or MX because of a cable failure. I have had retirements because of damage to hydraulic parts as do several others I know. Quite a few seem to struggle with brake hydraulics in particular, but I would think most could fix mechanical systems much easier.

I have an NEB speedway clutch with 3 rather than 6 springs on my Ariel, it handles the power, the bite point is ultra reliable and it is as light as my modern bike ( I have had it for about 5 years and still on the original plates running dry.

Yes it is extreamly simple and I imagine far cheaper than a hydraulic system but I do not see how the same could be applied to brakes, remember moped cable disc brakes putting your feet down was an easier way to stop !

• Like 1

Without a doubt the best clutch I ever tried was on a Fantic 307. Remembering that is what drove me to sort the Beta which is damn close now but I never want to go back to the terror of a drop in with wet drum brakes. I suppose there are cable disks for bicycles but I don't know how well they scale up to motorcycle size.

Amazing how back in the day we managed to ride these old twinshocks with brakes that were just for show and never even thought about clutching.

Now the sections are a shadow  of what they were good brakes and a superlight clutch are essential.

Can someone explain this?