Seems Like I Have Too Mugh Weight On Hands/wrists?

lodcomm

Hello Folks,

Just starting beginning trials training - have 30yrs of enduro/trail riding experience - C+/B- skill or so.   My trials bike is a scorpa sy250.  I am 6'1" and a "stocky" 220lb 

While practicing on the trials bike, I seem to have all my weight on my hands/wrists and I find it very uncomfortable, almost painful in my lower palms and wrists. 

I Know this is a broad question, but can anyone offer suggestions on what I may be doing wrong... bad stance? Need Bars Higher? etc.  The the pain in the hands makes me look for any excuse to skip practicing and leave the bike sitting in the garage. I am missing out on all the fun of trials riding as a result of something that I hope has a simple solution!

thanks!

-t

At 6'1" you might want to look at risers, but I'm guessing mainly based off the fact that at 5'10", I feel like I'm near the limit of the stock bar height for a punter like myself. You really need to think about bending your knees a lot and holding all your weight on your legs. You can't be lazy like you can on an enduro bike... or rather, you can, but you end up relying on your wrists to support all your weight, which isn't fun.

I'm guilty of this as well. I have tried to improve by trying to put the weight on the pegs and let the bike float underneath. It's tough to remember sometimes. I try to be light on the bars and put more on the pegs, and that's where the real steering is (from what some advanced riders have said). Most of the time I tense up and this all falls apart.

Risers have nothing to do with it. Bend your knee`s and weight back. Do not just stand stiff legged. Try a video or two, and watch riders body position.   

This!

Enduro style riders happen to be far to far forward on the bike (what you want with speed).

Just watch some random videos on trial and focus on knees only.

(nice exaggerated)

Edited by crazybond700

Try moving your bars forward. It's common for new riders to have their bars too far back because it just looks weird to an enduro guy for the bars to be angled forward. What happens with the bars back is you rotate your hips too far forward and your hands are too close to your body to get proper leverage so you bend forward and stick your butt back and put pressure on your hands to maintain the wrong position.

Try moving your bars forward. It's common for new riders to have their bars too far back because it just looks weird to an enduro guy for the bars to be angled forward.

Definitely agree with this, a mx or enduro bar angle would be too low and far back.

Im 6'2 and ive a few friends the same height and none of us run risers.

Edited by faussy

I have the handgrips directly in line with the front forks, which is exactly how I have my KTM set for woods/single track.  I will attempt to move them in front of the fork centerline and see how that affects the "stance".

Thanks again!

-t