Sherpa T Front Spindle Issues!

nelson5847

Hi all,

I have recently started too put my sherpa t back together, only taken 6 years!! I cannot find my front spindle. I have uploaded some pictures of my front fork leg, as i am not sure which spindle to get or which spacers too use. Can someone please advise me or better yet send me some picture on how the front wheel and spindle is suppose too fit. Thanks for your help.

Dan

post-17630-0-99784000-1442024610_thumb.jpg

post-17630-0-96605400-1442024650_thumb.jpg

There is one on ebay which you can see below which is for later bikes from 1973 onwards. Yours look like the later fork legs, if so this is what you need. The top hat spacer goes inside the hub between bearing and brake plate, the longer spacer goes between fork leg and hub on opposite side from brake.

Only thing that doesn't look normal on the bigger spacer on ebay is that it is stepped where it pushes into the bearing oil seal, normally they are same diameter all along, but can't see it would be an issue. The spindle pushes in from the side nearest the camera in your first photo. There is a bush in there that the head of the spindle pushes against and pushes it against the spacer when it is all locked up

You can get all parts new from In Motion

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bultaco-sherpa-front-wheel-spindle-/252082953910?hash=item3ab1509eb6

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi, brief question regarding a Model 191 1977 Sherpa front wheel spindle.

Does the Brake plate abut the RH fork leg, or is there a spacer between the leg and brake plate? 

The parts list I have does not make that clear. And the only picture I have is of the complete spindle, spacers and nut and washers. Not where they fit. The brake arm return spring hooks around the brake plate and is prevented from sliding off by the fork leg. It does not appear correct. Additionally, the spindle head LHS buries itself into the Left leg when the spindle nut is tightened. New spindles are 200 mm long, and so mine is. 

The less than shiny picture is of my spindle, spacers washer sand nut. The larger sleeve remains in LHS fork. I do not have the top hat style spacer. Nor do I have a washer under the spring washer to prevent the alloy fork leg from damage. 

Order of fit from nut on my bike  is: Nut, spring washer, bake plate(not shown), spacer, then on LHS Spacer, sleeve (not shown, and the head of the spindle.

I am confused, as the alignment may be incorrect if a spacer is not fitted between RH fork leg and brake plate.

Many thanks

Front axle.JPG

20180111-Front Wheel spindle - jj.jpg

L/H fork has the sleeve which as you note, extends from the inside of the leg. Then there is a spacer (just a straight tube, no top hat)

R/H fork the brake plate sits against the fork leg but there is a top hat spacer inside the hub which sits between the brake plate and the bearing.  The brake arm spring is located against the front of the brake plate inside the fork leg - it can only locate/work one way and it sounds as though it is correct on yours

When the spindle is pulled through on the nut it will just about recess into the L/H fork leg up against the sleeve. The sleeve will only pull through as far as the spacer will let it. If you have no spacer the nut will continue to pull the spindle through as it is pushing the sleeve which has no spacer to locate against

It's hard to tell from the picture of the new spindle but I'm guessing that the spacer shown next to the spindle head is the actual spacer and not the sleeve and that the sleeve isn't shown.

Edited by woody
  • Like 2

Thank you for your observation and answer. Appears that my fittings are good to refit.

I need to ensure that front wheel is correctly centered before taking the bike to a frame straightening jig next week.

Thanks again for this forums assistance.

Not sure about your spacers as the one on the L/H side doesn't look long enough and the one for behind the brake plate doesn't look like a top hat. The flange of the top hat is very thin as seen on the new spindle as it sits just proud of the bearing oil seal face whereas the tube part is a push fit into the seal

The spacer on the L/H hand side also pushes into the bearing oil seal and is long enough that part of it sticks out and is visible. I don't have one loose so can't measure anything at the moment. Your looks too short maybe?

Thank you for the input. The "taphatless" spacer on my set up within the brake does space the brake assembly apparently satisfactorily. Just appears odd that brake plate abuts the fork leg. And in the picture of a shiny new spindle and spacer set up, there is a thick washer next to the spring washer. I do not have that washer and there is insufficient length on the spindle to accommodate it. My spring washer is clamped between nut and alloy fork leg.

Should I have that washer?

Many thanks,  jj