Bars Positions' Advantages?

cubbon77

Hi,

Whats the views on bars position, forwards or backwards?

Bikes a beta evo 250, skill level sportsman/clubman. Height 5'10.

Fair enough height of rider will matter. But its got to matter where bars are to how much grip you get from the rear?

Watched an aussie trials video on youtube, says rule of thumb is have the bars so far forward that ends of bars are in line with angle of the forks. That is well forward!

Then looking at worlds top fellas they also have the bars turned right far forward, is this due to the steepness of their sections plus the way they ride more and more on the back wheel?

Cheers

Then looking at worlds top fellas they also have the bars turned right far forward, is this due to the steepness of their sections plus the way they ride more and more on the back wheel?

Yes and yes. Also its a lot easier to endo the bike the further your bars are forward. Bars back is ok for general riding, but as soon as you start to trick ride further forward helps.

As a little nostalgic aside, I remember that early-ish Montesa Cotas used to come with a little tab welded to the bars on which several lines were scribed. These could be lined up with a mark on the handlebar clamps and the handbook described which particular works rider preferred which of the various positions resulting from lining up these marks. Quite interesting, always assuming that Spanish quality control ensured that the tab was welded in exactly the same position on each set of bars leaving the factory... 

Edited by cleanorbust

Once in a while a new rider comes, most of the time on an older bike, and one off the first tips you hear are ''move those bars more to the front''.

If your not common with trials you put them wrong, and you dont know better. But it really goes better with them on the front. How far is different per rider and ride style I quess.

after I had been riding for about a year a more experienced rider saw my bars and grabbed an allen key and moved them forward... wholly cow what difference went from being all bunched up to way more open and much more comfortable in many ways. Last weekend we had a training day and a lot of the riders ended up moving their bars forward to try different positions, never saw anybody moving them back :D

• Like 1