Rim Band Issue

dekon

So you never true your rims or break a spoke?

IMHO its better to do a job properly once, yes you can bodge but as goudrons says it costs more in the end, and more likely to give trouble at an event.

I have had the good fortune not to break a spoke since the Bultaco era and from what I see spoke breakages are pretty rare these days. So long as you tied the broken spoke in place it would probably not leak anyway.

Yes it is a bodge, but it is cheap (around £5 for sealant) whereas a new rim tape is £25 and a weld and clean up probably similar. A weld could also cause distortion.

I actually re use the valve from the old rim tape, just adding an O ring. I also protect the top of the sealant (in case of scuffing it when fitting tyre) by wrapping a couple of turns of PVC insulating tape onto it. I give the rim a decent clean with a power wire brush before applying sealant. Try it, you will find it as least as reliable as the original rim band.

The Sikaflex grade to use is the one for fitting car windscreens. Its non corrosive and very strong, stronger than the roofers mate.

Best fix is of course new DID rim and mid jointed spokes.

Edited by dadof2

I have had the good fortune not to break a spoke since the Bultaco era and from what I see spoke breakages are pretty rare these days. So long as you tied the broken spoke in place it would probably not leak anyway.

Yes it is a bodge, but it is cheap (around £5 for sealant) whereas a new rim tape is £25 and a weld and clean up probably similar. A weld could also cause distortion.

I actually re use the valve from the old rim tape, just adding an O ring. I also protect the top of the sealant (in case of scuffing it when fitting tyre) by wrapping a couple of turns of PVC insulating tape onto it. I give the rim a decent clean with a power wire brush before applying sealant. Try it, you will find it as least as reliable as the original rim band.

The Sikaflex grade to use is the one for fitting car windscreens. Its non corrosive and very strong, stronger than the roofers mate.

Best fix is of course new DID rim and mid jointed spokes.

No cant agree with that at all.

a did rim isnt necessary swapping a rim band is a straight forward job once mastered and much cheaper.

No spokes dont break but need to be adjusted/tightened more than most would even think about. Pet hate of mine wobly wheels