Custom Made Trials Motorcycle (Or As Close To As Possible)

vroomvroom1

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to trials in general. I am looking at getting into the sport.

However, there is one big problem: I live in China. A country which is definitely not known for its Trials motorcycles.

Importing japanese bikes is out of the question and classic trials can't be found anywhere.

The option I've been looking at is to buy a vintage scrambler motorcycle that are common here. Usually custom made.

One example:

TB1wyivJXXXXXaMaXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic

T1k5KOXpXgXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_600x

Most of the bikes include a choice of either 125/150/200/ 250cc engine, with a vast selection of gearing options available.

Trials tyres are available for all rim sizes and the bikes can be modified in many different ways. (remove unncessarry electrical items, handlebar setups , suspension setups, different seats, hydraulic clutches and disc brakes front/back.

I'm not looking for anything competitive, just something to practice slow speeds, balance and finesse when riding. 

My question is:

- What specifications does a trials motorcycle need to have in order to be use-able in a trials manner? Static balance, slow speed, sharp turns, snappy speeds etc.

- What parts should be removed or changed from these bikes in order to convert them into a beginner trials machine?

Thanks

The specification should include

1/ Low first gear, you should be able to ride along at less than walking speed without slipping the clutch

2/ Steering lock needs to be modified to allow the steering to go round tight, as near to 45 degrees, this will probably require cutting lumps off the fork clamps and bashing a big dent in the tank.

3/ Get a set of trials handlebars, as they are not pulled as far back as road bars.

4/ Move the footrests back, look at lots of photos of trials bikes and you will see where they should be.

5/ Make your own seat

Years ago lots of us started as schoolboys on modified road bikes, the sport has moved on, as the bikes have improved but if that's all you have to start with anything is possible with a bit of imagination and a big hammer / hacksaw !

Good luck

Hi Guy's.

Hi Mr Vroom.

Look I have a Jialing JH 125L.

And the white bike is a lot like that. 

I have set the foot rests back a bit and made new Mudguard stays etc  and increased the engine size to 150cc.

The battery's moved inboard as I wanted to keep the electric start, because  I have a job to kick start the bike with a bad leg.

My bike was built for the Trail bike series here, but I have pondered the thought of turning it into an entry level trials machine.

The steering lock is fine ,and the last thing you need around a bike conversion is a "Big Hammer" or an hacksaw.

unless to remove unwanted brackets pillion footrests ETC. then a four inch cutting disc is a better option.

Take a look on my web site for information.

I will post a picture of my bike on there.

Good luck with your conversion and let us know how you get on.

And welcome  to TC.

Regards Charlie.

• Like 1

Are you aiming for something comparable to classic trials, or pre65 trials?

Modern trials would require a lot of custom work, but there was a one made in China called a Xispa.

If you're more interested in using trials technique than building a bike, then you can use trials techniques on any bike, some people over here are using trials techniques on enduro bikes as part of their training.

Spring rates and damping are easily changed so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. Provided you only use it over a very short distance then low gearing is easy using the sprockets, but trials bikes normally have one or two high ratio gears. Steering lock may need to be modified on some bikes, ideally steering geometry would also be changed. If you're going for the modern no seat look then it might be best to select the bike based how easily the frame could be modified. A two stroke motor would help with the weight but I don't recall seeing any in China, electric is also an option and they are widely available.

Engine choice depends on the type of terrain/obstacle you want to ride. For an easy route I'd choose a motor that has low down torque and is hard to stall rather than a lively one, probably a 200/250.

This could be an interesting project, please post some updates when you start building/riding.

I have a Jincheng M50D on the road with a tuned Zongzsheng 125 motor in it - not suitable for trials but great fun.

http://cqzhengao.en.made-in-china.com/product/PvrEzmuKsHcl/China-New-Motocross-off-Road-Dirt-Bike-Gasgas-2015-for-Trials-and-Enduro.html

I inquired about this bike and this was the response.

Regarding dirt bike gasgas 2015, this is a bike made in China, and here comes the details:
1. Price: Please check the attached quotation sheet for price, payment, delivery, sales points and specifications. And gasgas 2015 is a new model which is unique in China, and it is very popular in trials and enduro for climbing games. The price is EXW price, and shipping cost is not included. Please let me know your order quantity and destination port in US, so that we will check shipping cost. Thanks.
2. Pictures:  More pictures will be sent if you need. Thanks.
3. Warranty: 1% spare parts for free, and warranty 1 year. And the supply of spare parts is not less than 5 years. Thanks.
The color of motorcycle will be never changed by sunshine or raining in 3 years.
4. Quality: We only produce A1 quality motorcycle---we produce the chassis ourselves by welding robbot, and we use Zongshen engine(the best in China), all other parts such as shocks, carburetor, electric parts etc, the quality is superior in China.Thanks.
5. Parts: All the spare parts are made in China, but we choose the best supplier for all the parts, so the quality is guaranteed. Thanks.
6. Certificate: This model does not have EPA certificate because the models are for off road trial and motocross competition. Please confirm if you have problem to import it to US. Thanks.

Any other question, please feel free to contact us.Thanks.

Have a nice day!

Best regards

Herry Shao

Many thanks for your e-mail, but sorry for late response due to weekend.

The difference is: all the parts we used is made in China, but the structure is the same to gasgas original ones. As the technical parameter shows, we use Zongshen 4-stroke engine, not 2-stroke engine. In China 2-stroke engine is forbidden to be produced due to environmental protection. Thanks.

Actually for this model, we are still in developing status. We will finish the first sample on May, 2015, so we do not have detailed photos, and if you want to buy sample, you have to wait for 3 months.I am sorry, but we will push the sample developing. Thanks.

Have a nice day!

Best regards

Herry Shao

Chongqing Zhengao Machinery Co., Ltd.
Tel: +86-13527363405
Fax: +86-23-63004084
E-mail: moto.in.china@gmail.com
MSN: herry_01@hotmail.com

Edited by sectionone

Thanks for replies, very helpful. 

Some thoughts:

http://cqzhengao.en.made-in-china.com/product/PvrEzmuKsHcl/China-New-Motocross-off-Road-Dirt-Bike-Gasgas-2015-for-Trials-and-Enduro.html

I inquired about this bike and this was the response.

Regarding dirt bike gasgas 2015, this is a bike made in China, and here comes the details:
1. Price: Please check the attached quotation sheet for price, payment, delivery, sales points and specifications. And gasgas 2015 is a new model which is unique in China, and it is very popular in trials and enduro for climbing games. The price is EXW price, and shipping cost is not included. Please let me know your order quantity and destination port in US, so that we will check shipping cost. Thanks.
2. Pictures:  More pictures will be sent if you need. Thanks.
3. Warranty: 1% spare parts for free, and warranty 1 year. And the supply of spare parts is not less than 5 years. Thanks.
The color of motorcycle will be never changed by sunshine or raining in 3 years.
4. Quality: We only produce A1 quality motorcycle---we produce the chassis ourselves by welding robbot, and we use Zongshen engine(the best in China), all other parts such as shocks, carburetor, electric parts etc, the quality is superior in China.Thanks.
5. Parts: All the spare parts are made in China, but we choose the best supplier for all the parts, so the quality is guaranteed. Thanks.
6. Certificate: This model does not have EPA certificate because the models are for off road trial and motocross competition. Please confirm if you have problem to import it to US. Thanks.

Any other question, please feel free to contact us.Thanks.

Have a nice day!

Best regards

Herry Shao

Many thanks for your e-mail, but sorry for late response due to weekend.

The difference is: all the parts we used is made in China, but the structure is the same to gasgas original ones. As the technical parameter shows, we use Zongshen 4-stroke engine, not 2-stroke engine. In China 2-stroke engine is forbidden to be produced due to environmental protection. Thanks.

Actually for this model, we are still in developing status. We will finish the first sample on May, 2015, so we do not have detailed photos, and if you want to buy sample, you have to wait for 3 months.I am sorry, but we will push the sample developing. Thanks.

Have a nice day!

Best regards

Herry Shao

Chongqing Zhengao Machinery Co., Ltd.
Tel: +86-13527363405
Fax: +86-23-63004084
E-mail: moto.in.china@gmail.com
MSN: herry_01@hotmail.com

I saw this in another thread. Unfortunately when I phoned them they said they were no longer manufacturing this bike. Seems they never brought it to market. It's a shame as it would've been the perfect choice. I've extensively looked and no where else is offering modern trials bikes of this kind.

The specification should include
1/ Low first gear, you should be able to ride along at less than walking speed without slipping the clutch
2/ Steering lock needs to be modified to allow the steering to go round tight, as near to 45 degrees, this will probably require cutting lumps off the fork clamps and bashing a big dent in the tank.
3/ Get a set of trials handlebars, as they are not pulled as far back as road bars.
4/ Move the footrests back, look at lots of photos of trials bikes and you will see where they should be.
5/ Make your own seat
Years ago lots of us started as schoolboys on modified road bikes, the sport has moved on, as the bikes have improved but if that's all you have to start with anything is possible with a bit of imagination and a big hammer / hacksaw !
Good luck

The gear will change will be fine. Many sprockets available. 

Only problem is trials handlebars, I haven't seen any of these for sale. Are they meant to be completely straight? Wide or narrow?

Footrests and seat should be easy to fix.

P.s. Probably need to soften the suspension as well, that white bike looks like a good start point.
There is a class for trail bikes in some U.K. national trials so you don't have to do too much to get an enjoyable ride.

Most of the suspensions on these bikes are non-adjustable. Maybe different springs on rear and softer fluid in front forks?

Will see how the suspension handles and consider it.

Main thing I'm worrying about is weight. Is 110kg light enough?