Gasgas 250 Eco 2014

sirsherco1

Help!!

can anyone recall or had experience with the 250 2014 eco 250 with a pronounced rumble after only about 25 hrs total riding, it is not clutch rattle, but i suspect it is suss bottom end bearings, bloody disappointed in that its firs tNEW bike ever bought(bucket list) and have had 3 gassers before this 2 had, had a very tough life and were completely silent in engine these were at least 7 yrs old and untouched internally since new.

I am wondering why after such a short time this model sounds not at all well. i am not a super serious top end rider, social grades, so it hasn't been abused and was progressively run in as per specs. 

Any thoughts or comments welcomed.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Most of the time its damage to clutch or idler gear/crank gear.

Main bairings is almost only possible when there was a manufacturing problem or when its has taken in water.

I am changing mine now, and think there is like 500 hours on them or so.

Edited by crazybond700

How often did you change the gearbox oil?it lubes the main bearings on these.Did hear rumours that others had a problem with some suspect quality bearings being used at this time,which given their problems which have subsequently come to light may or may not be true

Thanks for replies, I've done only about 25 hrs max and oil has been changed 4 times to their specs . 

The clutch rattle i can live with, but I don't think i'm alone that when you hear a pronounced unusual mechanical noise, on a nearly new bike you tend to only hear that and get suspicious.

Sad thing i have had it to dealer before, for checking and was fobbed off by mechanic "it's fine can't hear a thing"  HHHMMMM.

Just ride it until it breaks and then we'll know whats wrong, jeepers!  But as we all know they never breakdown near the transport , it's always the worst part of a climb or a long way from home, or right where forward momentum is crucial as to stop is NOT GOOD!

Will pursue importer for warranty feedback and to ensure this time it gets treated seriously. would be really keen if anyone knew of documented or empirical evidence of bearing etc issues, 1 theory put forward was: as the motors are a few years old, if they had been stored on a cold floor there is a high risk of condensate / rust forming on bearings surface. Apparently was an issue with speedway engines a few years back. 

Well the 2014 Ossa was supposed to have main bearing problems. Same factory, similar motors. No facts to back it up. Just here say. Almost all manufacturer`s  have had similar issues. We had a 2015 sound that way and the importer made a strange trade as no `15s were available. I would just tear into it and fix it. it is now 2 years old. Some times it`s better to bite the bullet. Never understood why anyone would buy an Eco. Seen a friend do the same. Gas Gas die hard, more bikes than you and bought a eco. Not happy..

Eco means leftover 13 engines? 13s had a few where they sourced mains from different source, microscope inspection of bearings that made noise, did NOT explain noise, replaced.with bearings from importer, fixed the sound, if that happens to be your problem? Ours made noise in gear pulling in a ride a section use, hardly tell at.tdle clutch in or neutral, jus fyi. Have had 07, lost c-clip on Kickstart shaft, go through gears between clutchbasket-crank main gear and idler, had to replace clutch basket. I'd source someone to help with problem, usa importer was.awesome with ours, even though the 13's were 1st shipment, and regular bearing was slow to show up, all was madw well, hope same for you.

So, answers, bearings ok, it turns out the noise is standard on some and not others, just luck of the draw, but, supplier did supply new clutch drive gears, whilst not admitting they are an issue,  guess what ? Have fixed the noise issue, the rattle is ok std clutch op, seems some have different tolerances from manufacture. 

Turns out the distributor was not happy in accepting this as a warranty claim,  hhhmmmm, BUT supplied replacement parts !??

Dealer agreed to cover the strip down and reassembly costs. 

So off i go and wear ear muffs, but value for money a bloody good buy, happy with it.

• Like 1

Saga, continues, bike picked up saturday. 

first ride on sunday, guess what ? as soon as its warm, the noise is louder and noticeable when under load riding, NOT clutch issue as i have been telling the bike shop for the last 3 returns to get checked.

it sounds like someones thrown some marbles in crankcase. Sadly the precursor to this noise was not as noticeable originally and the mechanic couldn't or wouldn't pick it up.

What really crippled me, was the salesmen remarking its a cheap bike, as if that's a justification for it to be substandard. it wasn't cheap to me, it was a lot of money.

Could be an interesting week.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after having to threaten with refund or replacement, was it taken seriously. Mechanic must have replaced the batteries in his ear trumpet, agreed 6 months after issue was first noted. SAGA!

Bike was stripped, AND, you guessed it, big end bearings crook, TA DA!

Jeez ! 

3 weeks later still waiting for parts, ho hum here we go again.

Doesn't reflect well in a lot of areas, distributor, reseller, and nut monkey.

As is sadly all too common today, you don't find out how good or bad suppliers - resellers are, until you have a problem.