Silencer For A Villiers Engine

suzuki250

Hi,

There was a firmly held impression that the best way to extract controllable bottom end power from a Villiers was to fit a silencer with the same internal capacity as the complete cylinder plus crankcase, the length of the exhaust system was considered to effect the revs at which most power would be available.

Hi Guy's.

Deryk.

That is why we fitted the old "Peco" silencers and a short front pipe, for the exact reason as you have stated.

I believe a copy of that system is available from a supply in China so I am told. 

Update today 2nd Oct.

Not made in China, but made on the Wirral, by Cybox, that used to be the old Peco.

They make one off, or batches of exhausts to pattern, so here is your chance.

They may still have the old Villiers James pattern?

There you go only took me an hour to find out.

Regards Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott

Most of the recently built Villiers powered bikes have a longer front pipe usually looping round the frame down tube then meeting the silencer at the rear of the cylinder with the silencer over the gearbox.

The original exhaust fitted to the Greeves Scottish had a long pipe coming over the head before crossing to the right hand side of the bike at the rear of the tank, these bikes were said to perform better with that exhaust because of the long front pipe.

Hi,

Another image, this time showing Don Smith on his works Greeves in the 1966 Wye Valley Traders, taken from the book  'Bikes - Camera - Action' which I published and is now being revised and included in ORRe, our digital magazine.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-54693500-1443868130_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Another image, this time showing Don Smith on his works Greeves in the 1966 Wye Valley Traders, taken from the book  'Bikes - Camera - Action' which I published and is now being revised and included in ORRe, our digital magazine.

Enjoy.

you sure that's Don Smith.....there's no ciggie in his mouth!!!!!!?

Hi Guy's.

Nice run of snaps Deryk. and not a siggy in site.

Must have been before the pressure was put onto him to win every trial. 

Have you noticed how low the bars were on that bike? putting more weight over the front wheel.

But the power from the motor with the "Short" exhaust system fitted was still enough to lift the front wheel in sections.

Regards Charlie.