Brake Lining

stevem75

See scraubers answer, strangely the bulto brakes worked ok with chrome and saved weight too.

But the reason for change back then and now is the failing suface, no could be about it.

Ok, so I'm the only one who isn't satisfied with ok brakes, fine by me.

Edited by guys
  • Like 1

I contacted them (InMotion) in the beginning of 2014 and they told me they don't do the re-lining anymore because of risen expense.

They did offer me to give me the contact details of the work place were they had them done, but I eventually found someone in France.

I'm pretty sure mine's also done with steel liners, and it's a very noticeable improvement over the chrome liner.

I do have the intention though, to use EBC or fork lift brake shoe material instead of the Newfren next time, to see if it's an additional improvement.

Guy, next time you need a hub lined a can give you a contact in UK. Newfen work well in gramica hubs, fork truck lining can be grabby.
  • Like 2

I have had my hubs relined and wheels rebuilt by Paul in Huddersfield and the plan is to send my old brake shoes to villiers services to be relined, any feed back on there brake re lining materials please.

All the best Joe 

Edited by bultacorock

Interesting subject with as many opinions as posters. I have a couple of bikes with original chrome and these can be made to work fine and given a choice I would always prefer original chrome hubs. All my bikes have the pivot in the brake plate bushed to eliminate wear and I always set up and machine the shoes mounted on the brake plate in a lathe to give 100% contact area. Lining the brake drums is a way to save otherwise unusable hubs.

I find interesting that we seem to have a debate regarding steel or cast iron. I also appreciate that many different grades of steel or iron are available. My own opinion is that cast iron is best. I appreciate the actual cast process must be a factor but you have to ask why most car drums and disc's are cast iron?  I work as a designer (engines) for a major car manufacturer and must admit to taking a trawl through the drawing data base at drawings for drums and discs to see what grades were specified. I am still firmly in the cast iron camp.

Stuart

Interesting subject with as many opinions as posters. I have a couple of bikes with original chrome and these can be made to work fine and given a choice I would always prefer original chrome hubs. All my bikes have the pivot in the brake plate bushed to eliminate wear and I always set up and machine the shoes mounted on the brake plate in a lathe to give 100% contact area. Lining the brake drums is a way to save otherwise unusable hubs.

I find interesting that we seem to have a debate regarding steel or cast iron. I also appreciate that many different grades of steel or iron are available. My own opinion is that cast iron is best. I appreciate the actual cast process must be a factor but you have to ask why most car drums and disc's are cast iron?  I work as a designer (engines) for a major car manufacturer and must admit to taking a trawl through the drawing data base at drawings for drums and discs to see what grades were specified. I am still firmly in the cast iron camp.

Stuart

Interesting comments, have you also done a cost analysts ? Are car brakes running in similar conditions to trials ? Are they over/under spec"d to compensate for their actual performance ?

Guys man up, different thing chrome failed brakes were relined otherwise we wouldnt even be having this conversation

Nigel, could you rephrase that sentence please, because I don't understand what you're saying.

Don't forget I'm from Belgium.  :unsure:

What do the WRC cars run anyone know?

Will either be cast iron for non factory cars & possibly extremely expensive carbon ceramic in the factory cars if the rules allow although I wouldn't be so sure of that though due to fragility

Note that Moto GP use carbon fibre composite discs in fine conditions (carbon fibre only works while it is hot) and ferrous discs when it is a wet race. What racing vehicles use is not of much relevance to trials bike brakes I would say

Nigel, could you rephrase that sentence please, because I don't understand what you're saying.

Don't forget I'm from Belgium.  :unsure:

I will have a go at translating Dabsterese into Aussie English

"Guys, admit that you are wrong. The reason people reline Bultaco hubs is because the chrome lining fails. If we didn't have to reline Bultaco hubs the discussion would not have begun"

• Like 1