Beta Techno 250 1999 Barn Find

jonny6

Hi guys , new to the forum , I've just bought myself a 1999 beta techno 250 , it was a bit of a barn find really , been stood for 6 years. I'm planning to give the bike a really good service and overhaul , can you guys recommend what fluids I should be using ? My local shops stocks silkolene . I'm gonna be running the bike on a 80:1 mix .

Can you guys think of anything I should do to a bike that's been sat for so long ? Brake fluid change ? Fork oil ?

Any tips and advice would be great and really appreciated. Cheers guys

• Like 1

What Heffergm said, also check the airfilter and probably order a new one, if its sat for that length of time in a damp barn i would not be surprised if a critter took refuge in it. They can crawl into unbelievably tight spaces. Seen it before with barn find cars, snowmobiles and mx dirtbikes.

Tires might be junk when you really start riding it. Six years is a long time, Knobs might come flying off.

My Father has a 99 techno and runs 80:1 and seems to run fine. 

good luck and post some pics!

Edited by cheesepreetza

Two strokes don't like being unused for too long due to how they lubricate themselves.

Engine bearings, particularly the mains can dry out as do their seals, something I discovered on a long stored Rev3 once, so don't be too shocked if it gives air leak trouble or starts to rumble soon after you recommision it.

Along with what's already been written.

The clutch plates would have more than likely jammed themselves together in one solid lump, so it's worth pulling them out, cleaning them up and refitting if they appear ok, if not replace them.

(also, see Clutch Mod post at top of forum, Beta clutches are prone to sticking)

Check the water pump impeller and casing within the waterpump.

The plastic impellers can look like they've been chewed, eaten and poo'ed by your pooch.

The casing can get affected by the coolant/water, it can start breaking down the casing leading to coolant leaking in the gearbox.

Keep an eye on some of the hydraulic seals in clutch and brake systems, if they are starting to rot, they'll start breaking up and leaking when you start using it.

70:1 is about right with good quality synthetic oil.

Too much oil will actually lean the engine out ever so slightly as there's less petrol in the mix.

Betas like the higher octane petrol, 98 or 99.

Anything lower and they tend to crack and bang due to a bit of predentonation.

Perhaps strip, clean and regrease all the frame/suspension breaings, check all the bearings, spacers and seals

Marine grease tends to work well as it doesn't wash out as easily as normal automotive grease.

Repack the silencer, they should sound fairly mellow and torquey with a bark when reved, once the packing is burnt or soaked in carbon and oil they tend to sound a bit harsh.

Edited by goudrons