Registering A Trials Bike On The Road

You could apply for NOVA without it but it is 100% needed by DVLA for the next stage. Although, it could only strengthen your NOVA application if you sent it in at the same time. Contact Birketts they'll help you with dating certificate.

• Like 1

I spoke with June and she said they won't  have imported it as mines a 2004 and they only started importing them in 2005.

The NOVA form is now in the post.

She said once I get the reference number off them, for me to give it her, then she can provide a dating letter to me.

• 2 months later...

Reading this post with interest as I am going to "road reg" my Techno.

Have done a bit of digging about, the HMRC Personal Transport Section can be reached on a direct dial number

01304664171, got straight through no waiting.

Spoke to a very nice lady there who told me that my bike wasn't on the NOVA system as it's older than 5 years and that she would post a form out to me.

I then rang Beta UK (Lampkins), and spoke to a chap called James who confirmed that my bike is indeed a '99 bike but couldn't say whether it was a 240cc or 270cc but said that the exhaust port sizes were 72mm for 240 and 76mm for the 270.

After I explained my reason for the call he said that they could put together a package  for registration purposes.

He emailed me a pdf of it and I've attached it for those who might be interested.

Been to see my MOT guy about a "daylight" mot and asked what the requirements are and he said just a speedo and he has no issues with using the frame/engine number for testing purposes.

REGISTERING A SECOND HAND BIKE.pdf

On 7/18/2017 at 2:24 PM, naz said:

Same situation as mine then. Hope you explained it in your cover letter. Fingers crossed...

Let me know how you get on.

Just letting you know I got the bike registed Naz :)

HMRC put it on Nova with no issues

MOT was straight forward

V55/5 was straight forward

Only weird thing was, the 12th digit on the VIN is 4 which I always thought meant it was made in 2004, but the dating letter showed the end of 2003, I filled in the V55/5 as 2004 thinking they might pull me on this, but they just registered it as a 2003 anyway.

No big deal, it's registered now, so I can get out to local routes on it :)

Cheers for all the help with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's an update to my previous post.

I registered with the government gateway and filled in a NOVA form online last Thursday, which will have been the 5 oct.

The form can be a little confusing as it's not really worded very well as to what information it's asking for.

My bike is 18 years old so any original sales details have long been binned.

However, as I previously mentioned, for Beta owners, Beta UK (Lampkins) are extremely helpful and can sort a NOVA out ready to go for you, they just need a few photo's and the bikes numbers, and ask just a small fee.

My personal application, I stated that the bike was purchased as a cash sale and that I had a written invoice to that effect, this I photocopied and emailed to the HMRC.

This was on the Friday.

On the following Monday, I contacted HMRC and was asked if I could provide proof of date of manufacture, which I obtained from Beta UK and emailed to PTU, followed by a phone call to confirm that they had all the information they needed.

On the Wednesday I got the email confirmation that my NOVA application was successful and that I could apply to DVLA for registration.

£96..£55 registration fee and £41 first years road tax which is obligatory, must be MOT'd over 3 years old, no insurance needed unless Northern Ireland.

So 7 days from filling NOVA in online to sending off all the paperwork to DVLA (recorded delivery).

Just a waiting game now.

But a big shout out to Charlie Lampkin from Beta UK, very very helpful, if you're a Beta owner and looking to road reg the bike, give them a call.

Also the PTU at the HMRC, very understanding and took the time to explain what they needed and really gave some good advice, they realise that the forms and questions on them can be somewhat confusing.

In my opinion and experience, doing it online is quicker and easier, obviously you have to register with the Government Gateway to access it all, but It's quite painless and to be fair, to those that it might give the jitters to, the Gov know who you are anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my application back from DVLA a couple of days ago, with a rejection letter. 4 day turn-around not bad.

Reasons given were, 1:- No proof of date of manufacture, (registration doc, purchase invoice or letter from manufacturer).

The NOVA application doesn't provide proof to the DVLA for registration purposes, it's purely for VAT.

So I had to send the dating cert from Beta UK.

2:- No MOT, even though the bike was MOT'd and on the system, the DVLA still want to see the MOT cert in hard copy.

At least they sent an envelope with the address and name of the person dealing with the application already printed on.

So it's all been resent, first class signed for, hopefully I'll get the same 4 day turnaround and get the V5 in time for the start of November.

Good luck with it Tom. I learnt a very long time ago that when dealing with government agencies not to assume anything. Always take the belt and braces approach and send them everything you've got. It is amazing how even if all the systems are integrated and a click of the mouse can show whether an MOT exists they won't do it. They say the onus is on us to send them what they need.

Now that you have, hopefully you will get your V5 soon. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while but here's another chapter.

After I re-sent my application to the DVLA with MOT cert and letter from Lampkins regarding date of manufacture.

I received another rejection letter, this one said that I hadn't included any previous registration documents from overseas etc, or any original purchase invoices, or failing that any letter of explanation as to why these were not available.

So..I sent a letter, explaining that the bike was manufactured in the UK, by Beta, it has never been registered either in the UK or anywhere else in the world, that I was not the original purchaser, but bought the bike 2nd/3rd/4th hand for cash, and included the bill of sale and that the email from Beta regarding the build date was acceptable to the HMRC as proof of date of manufacture.

Today I got rejection number 4.

I have not provided proof of date of manufacture, the email from Beta/Lampkins was not good enough and that it had to be a certificate with the manufacturing date on from Beta, or a letter from an owners club verifying date of manufacture with supporting evidence of how that date was arrived at, (photo's/rubbings of frame numbers/expert opinion).

So...stuff the DVLA, I'll keep my £96 and spend it on something else and leave the bike unregistered and costing me nothing to gather dust in my front room.

It's their loss at the end of the day, I did think after letter 3, did I want the expense of tax/MOT/insurance every year, and the "agency" getting their sticky fat fingers on my bike.

Not as devastated as they must be over the £107m reckon they "lost" last year on untaxed vehicles due to getting rid of the paper tax disc.

Just some jobsworth there who probably hates motorbikes and like to make stuff as difficult as possible.

The email from Beta was letter headed Beta UK with their full business address and contact details on.

So much for "going paperless" to help the environment and that email is as good as the paper version.

Obviously not for some..

That seems pretty extreme, I got a DVLA registered Japanese bike registry to confirm the year of manufacture on my TY (they literally cited a website for that) and had zero problems - I gave the chap who runs it £70 and he sorted NOVA and gave me all the paperwork along with a guide as to what else they would want to receive, and got my V5 through the post about a week later