Registering A Trials Bike On The Road

I enquired about getting a bike motd without any documents at all and was told they wouldn't or couldn't touch it as they need a date of when it was made so you must have got lucky someone doing it with no evidence of anything.

I enquired about getting a bike motd without any documents at all and was told they wouldn't or couldn't touch it as they need a date of when it was made so you must have got lucky someone doing it with no evidence of anything.

Sorry to ask the obvious but did the MOT station know the bike is not registered yet? And that is the reason you are after an MOT?

They can carry out an MOT by confirming the frame number and entering "Not known" or "Unregistered" in the registration mark box. My bike's make and model wasn't even on the DVLA database so the MOT guy just entered the make as Sherco and Model as Scorpa. That was not so important because the frame number and engine number were what mattered. I had the make and model corrected subsequently of course but for the first MOT it didn't matter.

Hmm...curious. I have registered 2 bikes in the last two years and used two different MOT stations. Neither batted an eyelid. Just did the test. Where snouts are you? I'm in Eastbourne & used TPS motorcycles last time.

• 2 weeks later...

You must have an MOT if over 3 years old, This is done by the MOT station by adding the frame number. They do like to have the dating paper work so they can add the age.  Not a problem,  Done many as part of road registering.

You don't need to have insurance by frame number any more. Simples.  You don't have to send your road fund fee's either.  This is now done when you get your V5C. This gives you the option to SORN the bike....

All of this info with links on V55/5 ordering and completion is on the main pinned post thead and updated posts on here........."Road Registering Guide"......

Edited by gasserguy

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'm in the process of doing this and have the NOVA 1 form off the DVLA. Looks a bit of a can of worms, i bought the bike last week from a private seller and didn't get a receipt. Does anyone know what makes them charge VAT?

Hi Scorpa0259

I don't understand your question - what makes who charge VAT? If bike was imported to UK properly by a dealer then chances are you won't be liable to pay any VAT or any fees. See my previous post at http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/57260-registering-a-trials-bike-on-the-road/?do=findComment&comment=415304

Also as an aside, I was wondering why you did not get a receipt??!! How are you going to prove the vehicle is legally yours if you don't have a receipt for it and it is not yet registered in your name? Forgive me for saying this but surely its common sense to get a receipt when you purchase something.

• Like 1

Hey Naz, thanks for the reply (I was hoping you would).

I have no history of the bike at all, so I'm not sure who imported it, when, or how.

I called HMRC today and gave them my VIN but this isn't on their NOVA system. Does this mean it's never been imported and I'm likely to pay tax? Apologies, but I'm not sure what the tax is for, and why some people do or don't have to pay it...

As for the receipt, it was just a cash sale off a local advertisement page, I had no intention of putting it on the road at first so I didn't think to get one. I will message the seller and ask if they can provide me one, but I suppose they don't have to now...

Thanks again

No worries. All vehicles imported into UK attract a fee. Import duty, VAT, etc. Legally imported vehicles will be fine as the importer (dealer) will have paid the necessary fees. Sometimes people drive over to Europe buy a used bike and bring it back in a van or whatever. If it's an off road bike there is no need to register it for road use so difficult for customs officers to check. For all they know you could've taken the bike out of UK to ride in Europe and may be on tour way back home.

So long as the bike remains off road it'll most likely get away without paying customs duty. But if you want to put it on the road you have to prove the bike is here legally and all taxes due have been paid.

So you need to Ring HMRC Personal Transport Unit on 03000 583020 to check if your bike is in the NOVA (Notification of Vehicle Arrival) system. If not ask them to send you a form. There is a form online but you can't use that because you won't have all the information & it won't let you proceed.

4. Fill in the NOVA form as much as you can & write a covering letter explaining anything you need to. If bike was imported to UK properly by a dealer then chances are you won't be liable to pay any VAT or any fees. I didn't have to pay a penny. 
HMRC will get back to you pretty quickly & tell you that your bike is on the system & give you a reference number plus a letter saying there is no VAT due.

If your bike is not on the NOVA system DVLA will reject your application.

Then contact Birketts (see my previous post for contact details and step by step instructions). Give them the chassis number and they will be able to provide you a dating certificate. Once you have that the rest is just following procedure.

Good luck.

Oh, and if I were you I would still ask the seller for a receipt although you won't need it to register.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you'd like to see copy of my letter to hmrc. I'll see if I can dig it out.

• Like 2

Thanks Naz.

ive messaged the seller and she is providing me with a receipt.

How can I prove to them that it's here legally and all taxes have been paid?

I've already confirmed with them that it doesn't exist in the NOVA system.

Do I tell them I bought it in the UK a week ago?

No worries. All vehicles imported into UK attract a fee. Import duty, VAT, etc. Legally imported vehicles will be fine as the importer (dealer) will have paid the necessary fees. Sometimes people drive over to Europe buy a used bike and bring it back in a van or whatever. If it's an off road bike there is no need to register it for road use so difficult for customs officers to check. For all they know you could've taken the bike out of UK to ride in Europe and may be on tour way back home.

So long as the bike remains off road it'll most likely get away without paying customs duty. But if you want to put it on the road you have to prove the bike is here legally and all taxes due have been paid.

So you need to contact Birketts (see my previous post for contact details and step by step instructions). Give them the chassis number and they will be able to provide you a dating certificate. Once you have that the rest is just following procedure.

Good luck.

Oh, and if I were you I would still ask the seller for a receipt although you won't need it to register.

That's good news. You now just need to fill in the NOVA form (ask HMRC to send you one. Don't fill in the online one). Write a covering letter and submit it. They will add it to system. See my previous post.

• Like 1

On the NOVA form, do I fill in Part 2?

Complete this section if you or the purchaser are makikg a purchase from within the EU.

assuming as I'm in UK and bought it in the UK that I'd have to fill this part in, but it asks for vat numbers and supplier name/address

confused!

If I remember correctly I didn't fill that part in. I think I have a copy of what I sent somewhere at home. Can check tonight and let you know. Fill in as much as you can and write a covering letter to explain the situation. Here's what I wrote:

NOVA

HMRC

Personal Transport Unit

Building 22, Priory Court

St John’s Road

Dover CT17 9SH

Date: 

Dear Sir or Madam,

Further to my telephone conversation with Mr X yesterday, I am writing in

support of my application to have my motorcycle entered on the NOVA system so that I can

then have it registered for road use with the DVLA.

Please note the following:

The company which imported my bike into the UK when new, is no longer in business and I

don’t know who they were either. The current importers were unable to provide me with a

dating certificate because they did not import my bike.

The manufacturer of my motorcycle – Scorpa – also went out of business a few years ago

and were bought by Sherco. Sherco still make bikes under the Scorpa name and have kindly

provided me with a document confirming the year of manufacture of my bike as 2003 by

verifying the VIN number against their records. Please see enclosed. - (if you have a dating certificate send a copy of it)

I am a private individual and I purchased the bike from a private individual. As the bike has

only been used off-road, it has never been registered with DVLA. But I would like to do so.

I hope this is sufficient information to have my bike put on the NOVA system so that it can

then be registered with the DVLA.

Please do let me know if you need any further information.

Yours faithfully

• Like 2