Gas Gas 280 Txt Pro Racing - Clutch Engagement Issue

leeson660

Hi guys

I have a strange problem with my 2012 Gas Gas TXT 280. The first time I engage first gear after starting / warming the bike up the clutch engages immediately sending the bike lurching forward. No matter what I do with the clutch lever it stays engaged for say 10 - 15 seconds then it will start working and the clutch disengages drive. Obviously its a bit of a nightmare as not being able to stop is a bit sketchy! After the first time the clutch is faultless for the rest of the ride. I use Putoline Light Gear Oil if that helps at all.

This happened ever since I had the plates replaced.

I've just had another workshop look at it and they did the clutch master cylinder seal kit (which made the clutch lever much harder to pull in) and bled the thing. The reckoned they had sorted the issue described above but unfortunately they haven't.

Before I take it back in just thought I'd see if you guys had any ideas what it might be or whether your bikes have ever suffered the same issue?

Hope the above makes sense.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

James

Congratulations, you have a Beta :wall: ​I'm not familiar with GasGas clutches but this is an old problem with Betas and the fix is pinned at the top of the Beta forum. Don't be afraid, just tell them I sent you. 

Nice one thanks Dan much appreciated.

Looks like a fairly big job but I'll give it a go!

Sounds like you have air in the system,might be worth replacing the seals in the slave cylinder inside the clutch casing and bleed it again using the right mineral oil.

Hi mate is that in respect of the stiff clutch lever or the problems when cold?

The clutch being stiff is normally a sign of the clutch pack being out of spec (just replaced mine for this exact reason). The max height of the clutch pack should be 9.85mm, mine was just over 10mm. It worked fine but was just a little heavier than I remembered when I got the bike. Also make sure the lever is correctly adjusted at the handlebar end. There are some excellent videos by Jim Snell of Rising Sun imports on You Tube showing how to set it up correctly.

The Beta clutch mod isn't needed on the GG

Yes they are a bitch to get right have spent Hrs on my wife's 04 pro clutch put in a new clutch pack very hard lever pulled down again fitted new seal kits top and bottom a lot better took a long time to get the air out. Have happy wife and happy life 

Hi James, I recently reworked my clutch and followed the info from the Gas Gas website. Paying attention to plate pack thickness and spec's re the fingers set up. Clutch is the lightest anybody here has experienced and works fine. Bike may drag forewords [slightly] with no weight on it, but does not creep if I'm standing on it. Check out the video of the clutch job. Lay the bike one it's side, saves draining the oil.

Cheers Taff

Put in ATF . You will like it better any way. You won`t like this, but the quick fix is to warm up the bike. Find a nice obstacle to hold the bike in place, click it up to fourth and burn the clutch a few times. Or check the finger height of the clutch. The finger height is the most important measurement to make the PRO work. You can also do a search for gas gas clutch repair to learn more. 18 to 19 is not that hard to get. When you get below 16 it just does not work well.   

There are always a few basics with trials bikes and gg in specific:

- Free play at the master cylinder? +-3mm

- Does it have enough lever?

(there are two bolds to adjust. One for the free play, the other for the ''reach'' of the lever. This should have enough to be able to fully engange the clutch)

- Thichness of the clutch plate pack should be around 9.75 to 9.85 thicher will be a problem! Adjust with seperate available steel plates

- Fingerheight; the clutch finger height compared to the basket underneath the fingers should be around 17mm

- Thickest fibre plate should go in first

pro-clutch-diagram.gif

- Further more use correct oil and quantity. For GG pro around 380cc of 75w oil like putoline gear lite or ATF (not going to debate here about this)

- Offcoarse any damage to seals or parts may/will cause difficulties in getting it right!

Make sure you put the bike down for clutchwork, not for the oil, but in order to set it back together right!

Edited by crazybond700