Seeley 200 Backing Plate And Carb

jimg

I have an early production Seeley 200  (frame # 1011) and the previous owner has misplaced a couple parts that I don't foresee him finding, so I need to find replacements.  I have exhausted my search efforts on the web, so I hope I find better luck with this post.  I need a front backing plate and front axle.  I was told a MT125 Elsinore backing plate (1973-1976) would fit, but it does not.  I assume I could fit an entirely different ft. rim with larger brakes, but I would like to keep as original as possible.  Also, no carburetor and air boot on the bike...my only option may be to fit a similar carburetor, which may be of best option or interest anyway. 

I assume the front tire assembly/backing plate were common on other bikes of this era, but I rather not keep guessing and making incorrect and costly ebay purchases.  For the carburetor, I know there are several options, but any insight as to which carb (make and model/part number) anyone has had success with (along with jet sizes) would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by jimg

The carb on mine is a- Keihin PC040 BRK

22mm bore (engine end)

105 main jet, 38 pilot jet.

The inlet rubber boot (airbox to carb) is from a TL125, two for sale on ebay now.

The wheels are Honda but I do not know which model, sorry. Hope this helps get the old girl going again!

Hello jimg

As 4 stroke says the wheels are Honda the hubs are TL250 which is not widely known, so I would start there, seem

to see a fair bit of TL250 parts on e bay being sold in the USA, I have seen a replacement carburettor on the TwinShock Shop

web site  http://www.thetwinshockshop.co.uk/parts.php along with other Seeley parts.

Any way welcome to the small and exclusive Seeley Club :) 

Its got me thinking just how many of these bikes are left out there? mine is number #1063, so like you Jimg it points to mine being an earlier rather than later model.

Colin Seeley apparently produced around 300 of these cracking little bikes but depending on who you speak to this figure could be as low as 280 or as high as 350? 

Thank you for the information and picture!  This Helps!  Yes, it would be interesting to know how many of these Seeley's are still out and about.  The previous owner of my Seeley imported it to the USA about 15 years ago and had been sitting in his garage ever since.  The bike is actually in good shape, it just needs some TLC and a few parts.  My front fender/mudguard looks original and it's a white colored Preston Petty mudguard.  It will likely take me a few months to complete, as my time is limited and I'm slow and don't like to rush. 

I do have another question...is there to be a heat block/spacer where the carb fastens to the head?  The long bolts indicate to me there should be a heat block.  I have looked on-line at pictures of Seeleys, but it's difficult to clearly see that part of the bike. 

post-4693-0-54124000-1444303195_thumb.gif

The hubs are Elsinore CR125 not MT Elsinore which are very different. I'm prettty sure  the CR and TL250 share the same hubs back and front. 

The front brake plate on the Seeley has the hideous looking torque arm because the Honda forks had a lug to fit into the slot to anchor it. The Seeley forks are Marzocchi, the same as Fantic 200, so need a torque arm.  As far as I remember Seeley used the Honda spindle and I recall the spindle / spacer arrangement on mine was a real lash up to fit the Marzocchis. I think the forks had to be sleeved to take the smaller diameter spindle - but it was a few years ago I had one now.

On the rear, the brake plate is turned almost 180 degrees and anchored differently on the Seeley in comparison to its original fitment on the TL, to avoid a torque arm I guess, resulting in the crazy positioning of the brake arm

jeniejlg...thank you for posting the pictures.  I really do appreciate all the replies.  I have looked for the manifold insulator on the web, but haven't found any.  Would you happen to know where I could purchase one of these manifolds?  I have found and purchased the appropriate CR125 front backing plate and a carb to airbox boot on ebay.  I have yet to identify a carburetor...but I'm narrowing down my selection.   

• 4 months later...

The restore of my Seeley is dragging, but I'm making progress.  The information provided in this post has really help.  4Stroke...I have also fitted a TLR200/250 carburetor (Keihin PW22) on my Seeley and it is running good, except the bike back-fires when letting of from mid to high revs.  I believe this is due to unburned gas, so I will try to use smaller jets and see if that helps.  Currently, I have a 38 pilot and 98 main.  Do you recall the jet sizes your running? 

Seeley owners...I need an exhaust!  The picture is of the exhaust that came with the bike.  There is no mid-muffler and the "silencer" is a nicely hand-made piece, but the bike is much too loud.  I don't believe it's getting much, if any, back-pressure.  I have the resources to fabricate and fit different sized exhaust pieces together, but I would really appreciate any help from Seeley owners who have place an aftermarket exhaust on their bike.  The handful of aftermarket exhausts that were similar to OEM and available 10 years ago are not available anymore (to my findings).  I have read that someone fitted a WES silencer to a Seeley, but I need more information and details before I make any investments.  Any help would be much appreciated and picture are always good.  Thank you.

post-4693-0-53313900-1456748983_thumb.jpg

Edited by jimg

The Tlr and Seeley exhaust back boxes are mounted on opposite sides of the bike. Tlr left, Seeley right.

If you are going to fit a WES from a Tlr it will need to flipped from left to right.

It may be easier to modify a DEP system to fit. (and cheaper)

You can also fit a Tlr header pipe to match up with the DEP.