Ssdt Pre65 Eligibility Guidance

smelling123

Anyone seen the guidance booklet mentioned on the website?

Hi,

I've seen the booklet in pdf format if I remember rightly - it was very straightforward but left many areas capable of several interpretations.  I doubt its real value - but the really sad point is that I can't remember how I accessed it....................

Edited by laird387

Anyone seen the guidance booklet mentioned on the website?

Hi,

In the firm belief that a picture can describe better than a thousand words I wonder if you have considered my digital magazine 'ORRe'.  

Already this year we have included photographs, often at full page, never less than half-page, and often of both drive and timing sides of the machine of EVERY rider who completed the course in the 2015 Pre-65 Scottish - and all bar a couple of those who retired.

From that unique image collection you should be able to spot a machine that has already passed the scrutineers in Kinlochleven, that may give an answer to your queries.  Just a thought.......

Cheers

Deryk Wylde

PS.  For those interested in the history of the SSDT I shall shortly be continuing my analysis of past SSDTs in order to complete the 'Past Results' feature of the official SSDT website.

I emailed requesting information and was told that my email was forwarded to the correct person. I was asking about the rear stays on the Ariel HT frame some one told me that they had to be bolt on as per original. I thought this could not be correct as then GOV 132 would not be eligable for the trial. I never got a reply.

• Like 1

I emailed requesting information and was told that my email was forwarded to the correct person. I was asking about the rear stays on the Ariel HT frame some one told me that they had to be bolt on as per original. I thought this could not be correct as then GOV 132 would not be eligable for the trial. I never got a reply.

Hi John,

You are highlighting the nub of the Pre-65 Scottish committee's problem - you see, yes, Sammy did win the SSDT on GOV 132 - BUT GOV 132 was NOT an HT5, it was a Sammy Miller special.

So if there was a common 'Specials' class, where all machines that were 'not as originally supplied by the manufacturers' then 95% of the current entries would be in that class.  We did have it sorted, way back in the 1970's when I created the first British Bike series (then called it 'pre-65' in my column in TMX - how I wish I had copyrighted that name........) when we allowed replicas (i.e. identical in all diametric respects) to ride in the normal pre-65 classes but then had specials classes as well, and everybody rode the same sections, which were kept to the severity we were accustomed to before 1965.

But time has moved on, things have changed and now it is an entirely different sport - so you have to do what you think is right - and live by whatever rules any organising club requires.  The main thing is, whatever you do - enjoy yourself.

And always remember to carefully count the pennies - BECAUSE YOU CAN"T BUY TALENT................

Deryk Wylde

The Secretary has been on holiday which will be why emails may have gone unanswered thus far. She has asked me to post the following:

"Apologies for the delay but the new eligibility guidelines booklet has taken longer to produce that we first anticipated to ensure that the wording is as informative and concise as possible.  It should be available by early next week and if you would like a copy emailed to you as soon as it is ready, please email info@pre65scottish.co.uk with your request.  As soon as it is available it will also be posted on the Pre'65 page on www.ssdt.org for you to look at or download.  Sincere apologies for any frustration caused by this delay but we are keen to get this right and there is still plenty of time to enter as the closing date is not until Friday 4 December 2015.  Entries are NOT done on a first come first served basis."

If I could ask for a little guidence also. I am contemplating risking a stamp as well , but before could someone help with a couple of queries .

My Ariel has no rear stays, ie. the ones that drop down from below the seat and fix lower down I assume behind the clutch somewhere, is this frame allowed. I wish I could remember the builder. I also have a Yamaha forkbrace, I seem to remember they may be up for discussion. Lastly I cannot again recall who supplied the yokes and have been told just to mark them down on the sheet as replica of the time. They are not Spanish, and the last time it went North of the border 1999 it went through the scruitineering fine.

Thanks in advance