Fantic 301 Clutch

maggar

My 301 suffered no clutch slip at all (except for the high gear slip that seems to be standard on all Fantics) and I rode it for an hour or so last weekend on a practice ground.

Two days later I started it up and went to have a little practice only to find that the clutch is slipping now in all gears. So much so that you can't lift the front wheel at all as it just revs without much forward motion.

So, is it time for a new set of clutch plates? If so, any special tools required?

In case it's relevant I have recently changed gearbox oil from 10w40 to 5w30 synthetic.

The oil could be the issue. Not all oils are meant for wet clutches.

"Castrol does not recommend using passenger car motor oils like Castrol GTX in motorcycles. In 1996 the American Petroleum
Institute (API) upgraded the performance standards of motor oil from SG to SJ (currently SN). This upgrade impacted the friction modifiers and zinc and phosphorus levels to address the fuel economy, catalytic converter and emissions issues of passenger cars. For motorcycles, the additional friction modifiers can affect wet clutch performance, and these engines typically require a higher level of the anti-wear additives (zinc and phosphorus).
Passenger car oils use friction modifying additives to reduce friction in specific areas of the engine such as the valve train and piston ring/cylinder. Friction modifiers react with metals forming a molecular layer that reduces friction between moving surfaces. In a typical motorcycle engine with an oil immersed clutch (wet clutch), friction modifiers may be absorbed on the clutch plates rather than on the metal surfaces. This can reduce the friction coefficient of the clutch
plates and as a result the clutch will start slipping causing a loss of
power transfer to the back wheel, overheating and increased wear." ...In other words Castrol added friction modifiers in the API SJ spec and didn't have to list it as energy conserving in the API bullet.
Then they went on to say Blaw blaw blaw we have $15 a quart motorcycle oil you should use.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 2

I'm going to change to Silkolene Lite Gear Oil for the Fantics.

Fastbelly - a bit confused about the actuator arm adjustment. Removing the plug exposes a bolt / nut (from memory) what adjustment can be made? Is it a case of tightening or slackening that nut, and for what effect each way?

Thanks

the nut is a lock nut on a screw adjuster /actuator rod , on the other end of the rod is a ball bearing . While holding the screw head with a screwdriver , loosen jam nut and turn in adjuster till it just makes light contact , tighten jam nut while still holding adjuster. install plug , adjust cable free play and try out the clutch .

If my other computer hadn't of died , I'd put up a picture of the mechanism and all would be obvious ...

Glenn B)