Another 199A Question

herman

Now that the carb switch was complete with good results, a shakedown ride revealed another problem:

The drive chain is rubbing the cases enough to mar them.

The drive chain appears to be the correct size. I wondered if a thrust washer was missing behind the sprocket, but a schematic found on this site doesn't show one.

I tried to pull the counter shaft in and out to check for some obvious play, but found none.

I can come up with a washer of some kind without too much trouble, but I don't know if there are other issues that need addressed.

Thoughts?

Here are some photos. Hope they show enough. The sprocket is an 11 tooth.

I pulled the chain and had some trouble removing it by pulling from the top side / rear. Hung up. I figured I had a kinked link but found nothing kinked. It just seems to be hanging up. I think the chain is incorrect as said above.

I didn't pull the sprocket as I didn't have a socket large enough. Not even sure what size to get.....

Dumb question, but are the threads left handed? I'm assuming counter clockwise to loosen.

post-9813-0-41655400-1445357589_thumb.jpg

post-9813-0-01450500-1445357601_thumb.jpg

The socket size is 32mm and the front sprocket nut unscrews counter clockwise as you tought. I see your ignition case rear Arm is broke. Also iv'e had the chain catching on the tab washer that locks the nut some times iv'e had to trim it down on the 11 tooth sprocket there should be a spacer (TOP HAT) behind the front sprocket.

Edited by bondy

That looks like you have a sprocket with no shoulder on it which means you will need a washer of some kind behind the sprocket to space it out to sit where it is supposed to sit. I have one so they are available but I don`t know who would have one though. Even a couple of lock washers behind the sprocket would work. It only needs 2 or 3 mm. Graham.

Did you replace the seal behind the front sprocket? Also as above the clutch Arm won't work correctly 1 off my bikes had same problem so i had a new bit alloy welded on.

Edited by bondy