Bultaco Sherpa 250 1979 Oil Capacities.

chappo

Hi guys,

Just taken delivery of a Bultaco Sherpa 250, 1979 , I need to know the type and quantities of oil required in the gearbox, clutch, forks and what type of two stroke oil.

The previous owner used the new Castrol 747 2stroke oil, at 50:1, is that right .

Many thanks.

Dave.

Gearbox takes 600cc  -  any modern gear oil

Clutch takes 300cc  -  if still using the original type steel plates use ATF. If fibre plates have been fitted you can use light gear oil or continue with ATF

Forks take 180cc maximum per leg  -  weight is personal choice but 10W is a good base to start

For 2-stroke oil, 747 is good oil but a bit overkill for a trials bike which isn't on constant high revs. It's really for high revving performance engines. The main issue with it is that it is castor based and if mixed with normal synthetic oil it can emulsify in the engine. I think some people have swapped between the two by draining all fuel from the tank and carb before adding premix with the other oil (ie: whether going to or from A747) and had no issues but it's probably not guaranteed. You also have to use it fairly quickly after mixing it as if you leave it in the tank afterwards it can absorb moisture.

You can continue to use 747 at the mix suggested, it won't cause any harm - if you've any doubt speak to the Castrol helpline for their opinion. It's just a bit more expensive than their synthetic based oil TTS Power 1.

• Like 1

Thanks Woody.

What about the mix ratio.

I have some normal GRO trial 2 stroke oil from a previous bike so I'll use that up, after draining the 747 mix.

I agree looking at the spec sheet of the 747, it is overkill.