heffergm

Today I borrowed a GG 250, probably 5 or so years old. I'm used to a 300.

The off idle response was what I'd call very soft. My 300s, Beta and Sherco, were both very crisp off the bottom at small throttle openings. The 250 felt like a 300 wrapped in a moist blanket.

I was considering a 250 as the next bike, but I really didn't like the lack of crisp throttle response. So I'm wondering of this is a normal 250/300 difference, or of the one I rode was just way past it's prime, or maybe it's a GG thing?

Not really sure about the flywheel weight. It may have had a slow action throttle on it, I'll have to ask. 

However, it did feel almost exactly like a 300 Beta I rode with a low compression head on it... but again, that may have had the slow action throttle on it too, I'll need to ask.

The GG definitely didn't lack power. Out on the loop once you open the throttle it certainly went, and it would lug me around in 5th at any speed without any problem. Not quite the torque of a 300 at low revs in a higher gear, but that's certainly normal. It just lacked an immediacy right off idle that felt odd.

5 years plus it could be shagged was it neat and clean and tidy everything tight as a drum?

Posted Today, 10:43 AM

Can't say about the 5 year old bike but the 2014/15 250's have all the response off idle you could ever want.

If anything the 300 feels slightly more mellow in pickup.

this is how it should be but flywheel weights either way and gearing as well can totally change everything.

Edited by nigel dabster