Non Starter After Washing

fantic tom

Assuming you have a spark at the plug its likely to be water getting into the carb, either from the airfilter / airbox or tank. Just a small amount of water in either can repeatedly get drawn into the carb and block the starting and slow running jets or passages.

Nobody has asked the obvious - was a power washer involved?????????

Useful devices for forcing grit into wheel bearings and water into places never intended to get wet...............

Hi no power washer exactly, just a warm soap setting at petrol station

Have you checked that you’re getting fuel as far as the needle valve?

Problems I’ve encountered in the past have included, inlet filter inside the fuel tank being blocked, fuel tap being blocked, fuel tap being broken and not allowing fuel through, fuel pipe delaminating and collapsing on the inside despite the outside looking fine.

As suggested water in the fuel can cause problems, modern fuel with ethanol in it, if left will quickly form water in the tank. This can rot your tank blocking filters and causing running problems. My personal experience with water in the carb is that it will run just very badly. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you checked that you’re getting fuel as far as the needle valve?

Problems I’ve encountered in the past have included, inlet filter inside the fuel tank being blocked, fuel tap being blocked, fuel tap being broken and not allowing fuel through, fuel pipe delaminating and collapsing on the inside despite the outside looking fine.

As suggested water in the fuel can cause problems, modern fuel with ethanol in it, if left will quickly form water in the tank. This can rot your tank blocking filters and causing running problems. My personal experience with water in the carb is that it will run just very badly. 

iv been off work today so i spent the morning trying to sort it.

so far iv:

drained tank of fuel and washed out tank (left to dry out bone dry!)

filled with fresh fuel and 2 stroke

removed and cleaned filters on tap (where already spotless)

checked tap and fuel pipe is good and giving a good flow

I fitted a new needle valve and the carb is now filling up with fuel (it wasn't before)

the carb has been stripped and carb cleaned and now its all spotless

air box is bone dry

and I got it fired up and it runs perfect like it used to for a minute and then dies - then when i remove the plug it is wet!

I don't think theres too much 2 stroke in causing the plug to foul up and it doesn't look like oil on the end of the plug either!

i dont suppose you have any more ideas?  :)

It does sound like an ignition problem now. I don’t know anything about the 240 ignition but as Glen says there are plenty of threads on it in the forum.

Since it runs for a bit it does sound more like a component breaking down. Could be any number of things, depending on what ignition you have.

You could try Bob Wright he was quite helpful when I had problems with my 309 ignition. http://www.fantictrials.co.uk/

On the plus side once you’ve sorted the problem the bike will run like new. 

• 1 month later...

• 3 weeks later...

Tom,

It sounds like you might have been chasing two separate problems that have manifested themselves at the same time.

Through you various posts you’ve had it a dry plug, a wet plug, no fuel and would have to assume form the wet plug plenty of fuel, either that or no spark.

To me these opposing problems would indicate that there is more than one thing wrong! You are fixing a problem X only for the bike not to run because of problem Y. You then start working on problem Y only for problem X to thwart you! This can be incredibly frustrating I know I’ve been there myself!

It might help to go back to the start and write down what happened at each stage eg ran for minute died, dry plug. Also write down anything you found, float sticking and anything you changed in-between each attempt to get it running. This will help you follow the changing problems and help identify all of them.

The other thing you could do is see if there a very kind and helpful person near you with the same bike who is happy to help you and swap parts between bikes until you find what’s causing it!

The last thing to look at is go over some of the things you’ve already done. I had a problem with a road bike years ago, the first thing I changed was the plug. After going round and round the problems I took it to a mate of mine that runs a bike shop (the sort of bloke that can fix a bike by looking at it but never actually touches it!). Tried to start it, nothing, his first suggestion was a new plug, said I’d already done that but changed it anyway. First kick away it went! Turned out the brand new plug I’d brought sparked perfectly out of the engine but was failing under pressure inside the engine. Sometimes it can be the simplest things!!! 

• Like 1