Rossi Can Dish Out But Can't Take It!

colinf

Waited until Monday to watch final on ITV4 and think the results speak for themselves, 7 wins to 4 seems like a championship winning margin to me.The last place penalty proved to be worthless as everyone just let Rossi through ( apart from a minor challenge by Espargaro's Suzuki ) and yet the die hard Rossi fans are claiming that the Honda pair didn't give Lorenzo a hard enough time! I can understand Rossi's disapointment but i think his ranting looks very unsporting as do his fans booing other riders ( a bit like the tifosi in F1), Lin Jarvis will have his work cut out next year! Hope the bikes are as close performance wise next year and with an in-form Pedrosa too it could be a classic year, the champion will almost certainly be Spanish though ( think i said that last year).

I'm not sure that we watched the same race, Rossi was behind Smith for 5 laps for a start, but isn't ITV4 just highlights.

There isn't much point in comparing wins unless you also compare podiums and DNFs, it's easier to use the points system. It was very close this year, an excellent performance by both riders.

I do agree on the booing and to some extent the ranting. The initial rant appeared justified but he was wide of the mark on some of the post race stuff. I'm not surprised that Marquez made no early attempts to pass Lorenzo. It may also be true that due to Pedrosa's move he couldn't make an attempt on the last lap. Sitting behind and mugging on the last lap is a preferred tactic of Marquez and many others.

However what I would like to see questioned is why didn't Marquez make a move when Pedrosa was closing in fast. At that stage he knew that Pedrosa would shortly make a move on him. This is a pattern you see in races all of the time, riders make a move earlier if they are under threat themselves. I think there is some truth in Rossi's accusations, but the "facts" aren't that clear cut.

It's good to have Pedrosa back fit and on form, the more potential winners the better, since getting rid of Alberto Puig's influence he's also become more likable.

• Like 1

I agree, and yes is was highlights (which can be misleading).I just hope that the change in tyre supplier doesn't adversely affect one or other of the works teams so we can look forward to a vintage season which genuine fans of the sport can enjoy. Forgot to say congratulations to Danny Kent, that should have been the story of the weekend.

Aside from Petrucci, who completely took evasive action, no one really waved Rossi around. They didn't make life hugely difficult for him either, but given the pace difference there wasn't much point in them trying to do so. It was a good ride from the back, all else aside.

• Like 1

Whether or not the Hondas could've tried to overtake , Cal Crutchlow said it would be risky with the lack of speed exiting corners ( and unlike the rest of us he knows just how hard it is to ride the bike in question) , Rossi had no influence on how the top 3 would finish,coupled with the fact he would have only qualified 12th anyway even if the penalty was overturned i still dont think he had the pace to lap with the top three.......however hard it is for Rossi fans to come to terms with he could still have lost the championship at the last round.Despite what the media were all saying it was never going to be a sure thing just a better story for them.I agree that Rossi rode well on Sunday,he shoud've left it at that.This isn't a dig at him or his fans it's just my prediction for next year but i think if he wants a shot at the 2016 title (assuming the Hondas and Yamahas have similar all-round performance and all four riders avoid injury) he will have to qualify better and start better regularly to have a chance of keeping with leaders from the start.

I kind of doubt it... it will interesting in so far as it's interesting to see Stoner back, but if he's on the pace of the guys at the front I'd be absolutely astounded. To be out of top flight competition for this long, if he's within of second of the front guys I'd be surprised.

In Australia the rumour about Stoner returning on a Ducati seems to have some credibility.

It has been said that he has been unhappy that he ended up testing the RCV roadbike rather than developing the racebike - personally I think Honda made a mistake in not letting him sub for Danni Pedrosa when he had the arm pump surgery. The jammed throttle on the Suzuka 8 hour bike also didn't help

Something tells me if he does return to MotoGP he will be on or very near the pace of the aliens very quickly, he's actually not that old & the amount of skill he possesses won't have disappeared. Would make for a far more interesting title race

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No, when Pedrosa made up ground at the end and looked faster he took Marquez but then went wide which allowed Marquez back through - where people got the notion that Marquez bit straight back and took Pedrosa at will (as evidence he wasn't trying to pass Lorenzo) I don't know. Pedrosa clearly went wide on the brakes. Had he not we'll never know if Marquez could have passed him back.  As for Marquez helping Lorenzo by not attempting a pass, there were also a few other races during the season where Marquez followed behind Lorenzo unable to make a pass on him the entire race, both for first or second place - those races are conveniently forgotten when people say Marquez always makes a pass.

Woody - your last sentence is an interesting observation. Other people seeing the same events could easily conclude that Marques seems to be more willing to make aggressive passing or defensive moves against Pedrosa and Rossi than he does against Lorenzo.

Woody - your last sentence is an interesting observation. Other people seeing the same events could easily conclude that Marques seems to be more willing to make aggressive passing or defensive moves against Pedrosa and Rossi than he does against Lorenzo.

Except at Philip Island, where all these allegations by Rossi Started