1980 Montesa 349 Cota

monty349

Hello All,

After an absence of 30 years plus I decided to have another go at keeping my feet up.

Back in the day I rode Bultaco's but could not find one to make my "come back" on so ended up with a 1980 349 Cota instead.

I remember riding one in the early 80's although not as agile as a Sherpa (bit longer wheelbase) it felt stable, think I am going to need all the stability I can get!

The bike is a black frame red tank model, but not the SSDT replica, my memory is not that good but I think the SSDT came out in to celebrate win before the white tank red frame World Championship replica which I think was 1981?

My question is did the 349 come into production in 1979? or did Montesa run two models in 1980 as my bike appears to have a slightly different tank unit, fibreglass over alloy with a smaller seat and no fuel level pipe. I seem to recall that the SSDT was all plastic or polypropylene and possibly not road legal although I had similar on my blue Bultaco and it was never questioned?

Any Montesa historians out there?

349 Cota.jpg  

• Like 1

Three major Cota 349 series.

MkI (Yours) with its fuel level meter in the fiberglass tank ... but only in Spain. British law made it use an alluminum tank.

MkII/III (White Wonder) with red frame and white tank. Magnesium front brake in its second series.

MkIV (349/4) with closed gray frame, magnesium front brake, gray frame (and mudguards) and red plastic tank. This model's evolution was named as Cota 350.

KS thanks for the tip, 

Mods and new parts to date since purchase and when picture taken

WES rear silencer 

Electronic Ignition

Montesa front mudguard and flap

Kill button

Still to fit higher bars I am 6'2" and new rear shocks, going traditional with Renthals 6"  I just found they are now owned by the Americans (how out of touch am I?) but still made here in Manchester.are they the same quality of old?

Advice on shocks or views criticism on works to date on bike would be appreciated.

Looking forward to feedback from great site and source of information.