Newbie To Trials!

r19rpp

Hey all,

So I'm new to everything trials, been wanting to get into trials for a few years however due to work commitments it's not been possible, in the new year my shift pattern is changing creating the spare time I need! So I'm after some advice, I'm in the UK (Gloucestershire). Firstly best beginners bike to buy I know I'm looking at a 250/290/300 but for a total novice does it make much differance which I choose? Is it worth spending a few hundred quid more to get a newer bike or not? I know it's going to be a very steep learning curve, any local clubs to me would be great I know of a local practice area and a club but the more options the better!!

+1 on the 250 for the largest bike (unless your an extra big guy) even then...  

This is my opinion so take it as that.  

My short story, I am 180lbs and the first bike we had in the family was for my wife and was her Gas Gas TXT Pro 125... I spend almost 4 months sharing her bike tell I got my Montesa 4RT and even today riding intermediate I would be able to do everything on her bike with just a little more clutch work and throttle.  The smaller engine forced me to learn the clutch better as well as using my body to help get the technique more correct from the start.  

On a side note, its about you having fun and sticking with it and being happy with what you get so after all is said and done get what you want and keep at it!  

My 2 cents and best of luck.  

If you have zero riding experience on anything (enduro, street bike, etc) and a trials bike will be the first motorcycle you'll ever throw a leg over, definitely don't get a 300. In fact, I'd probably say find a 125.

But if you have lots of other riding experience, especially if it's off road on enduro bikes, it doesn't make much difference.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I should have read the forum threads on here first.... I am new to trials too, I ride a Husqy TE310 enduro bike on the green lanes and my new purchase is a GASGAS 300 TXT 06, bought it from a mate. I have also bought a GG80 TXT for my lad so we can ride together. Sounds like I could be starting on the 80! Time will tell, I am looking forward to my first practice,