What To Do And Expect On My First Trial?

ralph1

It is probably best to be clear what you want to achieve.....I would suggest

- get your first trial under your belt

- learn the logistics about entering etc

- chat to few people and feel that you are part of it

- do some sections

- watch how others ride the sections

- accept that you will make some schoolboy mistakes, such as taking the wrong route in a section

But don't ....

- expect to do all sections and all laps

- and don't worry about your score

The two key points are....

- use it as a learning exercise

- and enjoy it !

Hey have a blast at the Stafford Auto Club.

When I started there were no clubs or events here in Nova Scotia so I built my own sections and put on my own event without really having a clue... had 5 or 6 riders show up and I was nervous as heck but man it was a ton of fun and I have been having a great time doing events ever since !!! 

Lots of great advice here can't wait to hear how you made out - take a picture or 2 for us poor old guys who's season is already over for this year.

Nice Ralph. I was going to recommend riding a good bit before the trial. Don't exhaust yourself- not even close, but get riding a little and get a sweat going. A good warm up. My goal is to enter the first section warmed up, bike and body. Lots of riders arrive dead cold at the first section and they don't become themselves until the second loop. My advice is get warm and ride around to get warm before you get in there.

• Like 1

Nice Ralph. I was going to recommend riding a good bit before the trial. Don't exhaust yourself- not even close, but get riding a little and get a sweat going. A good warm up. My goal is to enter the first section warmed up, bike and body. Lots of riders arrive dead cold at the first section and they don't become themselves until the second loop. My advice is get warm and ride around to get warm before you get in there.

The theory is fine

However most start areas are quiet areas & organisers frown on bods riding around too much & like to get the field off ASAP

Most first sections are tame at club trials so everyone gets warmed up on something easy - hence my quip earlier - 'clean the first section'