Fantic 200 Shocks (Potential Silly Question)

samwisemcg

I have a fantic 200 with falcon shocks on it. Is it possible to mount the shocks upside down?

The previous owner made a guard to stop the brake rod getting caught in the compressed springs. Although this works it doesn't look the best and is a bit vunerable.

I would like to be able to route the rod behind the shock as per an original fantic 200. To do this I would need to flip the shocks the other way up. Will this have any negative effect?

JAEVFLF.jpg

zBpkRB0.jpg

No you can't, they are made to work with the body at the top, they won't damp properly if you fit them with the body at the bottom.

You should be able to bend the rod to clear the spring as it's the same issue on most bikes

• Like 1

Falcon do make a steel trials shock with an option to work upside down. Maybe your's could be modified by them and save some money? Worth a call... 

http://www.falconshockabsorbers.co.uk/

Fantic240motor, you're right. I had a look at the optional extras on trials shocks and found the following

To run shocks body downwards  at time of order   ......................................   £14.40

Looks like they can be adjusted to work with the body at the bottom.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by samwisemcg

That cost is to make the modification when they're first being built new, not to modify an existing pair, that will cost a lot more as it will be a strip and rebuild which will involve new seals, bushes etc as Robin won't re-assemble with the old components.

They are also old Falcons looking at the design, colour etc so not sure they could be converted.

I couldn't see your picture originally but can see it now  -  as someone else pointed out the rod should go on the inside. It should still bend around the inside of the shock ok. It's the same issue on all bikes now since all shocks became upside down

I made a new brake rod for my Ossa two years back, I bought a length of steel from the local diy shop and cut a thread on one end and bent it to fit and drilled the other end and used a split pin to secure it.

When you remake the brake rod to run past the inside of the shock I'm sure you'll bend it to run closer to the swing arm to avoid the likelihood of your heel leaning on it. Could be off putting when you're descending.

Just another point I'd also flip the rear spindle adjusters over so the long part isn't hanging down avoiding unwanted contact with rocks etc. 

• Like 1

When you remake the brake rod to run past the inside of the shock I'm sure you'll bend it to run closer to the swing arm to avoid the likelihood of your heel leaning on it. Could be off putting when you're descending.

Just another point I'd also flip the rear spindle adjusters over so the long part isn't hanging down avoiding unwanted contact with rocks etc. 

I'm thinking that with a few bends I can get the brake rod to run along the swingarm and up to the brake arm at the last minute. Worth a try.

The snail cams got flipped just after I bought it, these are the original sellers photos. Good spot.

Thanks

• Like 2