Replacing A 2009 Evo 250 With Newer Model

ifixfords

Could anyone enlighten me as to major changes good or bad since 2009 in the Evo 2T 250 and 300 models. I am considering a 2014 300 super smooth, 2015 300 standard and a 2014 250 standard. 

I am a developing rider and have been riding intermediate class this year and will move to Sportsman next year. Nothing wrong with my 2009 model and it has plenty of power, just wondering if improvements in suspension or the way power is output might help me. Besides just the hankering for a newer machine :).

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Stu Bishop

Edited by ifixfords

The 300 might be super smooth but it can still be plenty powerful when you open the throttle!

Each to their own, but I think that the 250 is more than enough, especially when you are still on a learning curve. Aren't we all - even after all these years?

Have you ridden the later models? Some people find my 2015 250 Evo 'flat' when compared with a Gas Gas (say) in terms of the initial power delivery, but I like that 'softness' on the first take up - especially in slippery going. Unless you are riding major stuff I would hesitate to suggest the 300.  

• Like 1

The most noticeable change came in 2015, though there were various tweeks with each years model.

Beta revised the flywheel and stator arrangement for 2015, so the stator is on the outside rather than under the flywheel and the flywheel inboard closer to the crankshaft.

This allowed them to make a better job of sealing the flywheel cover, which was prone to water getting in along with reducing the gyroscopic effect caused by the flywheel being hung out further.

I believe this made the usually bolt on flywheel weight kit redundant and a complete new, heavier flywheel is needed to smooth it out (SS models), so it's easier and cheaper to Smooth out a pre 2015 300 yourself.

I ride a standard 2014 300 with just a bolt on flywheel weight and IMHO it's perfect!

Without the weight it's a bit punchy with a strong "hit" just off idle, but the weight really smooths it out and allows you to use the better torque it has over the 250.

• Like 2

What is the point of Taking a 300 and detuning its performance!!!!!! I don't understand that. Buy a 250 and be happy happy happy. As far as the egos go, they didn't become a good bike untill the 2011 models. The current models have a hydra formed frame, a much better rear shock, sealed stator cover,smashing graphics and so on. It will not make you a better rider! But it will certainly make your ride better

• Like 1

The Super Smooth 300 is not detuned (nor is a model fitted with a flywheel weight).

Fitting a flywheel weight, slow action throttle, smaller gearbox sprocket, fatter grips and altering the clutch plates is not going to alter the power and torque the engine produces overall.

They'll produce the same power and torque as a standard model.

What these alterations do is alter how the power is delivered.

Many find some or all these alterations (to a 300 in particular) make better use of the available torque, which they find the a bit too flat on the 250's.

Without actually feeling the effect yourself, it's kind of hard to explain, but the mods tend to tie the bike down a little better to the ground, yet the motor still produces a meaty amount of torque which some owners of 250's complain is missing.

So you get all the grunt with less of the "hit" which the standard 300's seem to offer just off idle.

When you really start to consider it, you can easily alter how the 300 delivers it's power and torque, which is something some 250 owners do complain about.

Beta for the UK market have been selling their models with flywheel weights as standard for years, not just the 270's, 290's and 300's, but their 250's too.

I remember all my Rev3's being sold with them and my first was a 250 in 2001.

• Like 3

I've owned 3 Evo 250's, currently a '15. Beta does incremental changes that do improve the models, especially to the suspension. I agree that unless you are an expert doing BIG ups, a 250 is best. Yes, a 300 can be toned down. But to me, they just feel more bulky and harder to finesse. I believe that this is a result of the gyroscopic effect of the bigger top end. I have been trying out a friends '15 125 and feels like featherweight toy. Everyone who rides it swears it must be 20 lbs lighter.  The weight difference is only ONE POUND, which goes to support the gyroscopic theory.

• Like 3

The biggest change was the 2010 frame that did not break in half. Have you had the frame and swing arm replaced? Then the major new frame in 2013. Those are not little changes. Get the super smooth if you like a good low score.

I have not had frame or swing arm problems, though I am aware of it being a possibility. I just keep an eye on it. I am also not an aggressive rider, no big obstacles. I am sure it can be more of a problem if the bike is used to its limits.

Thanks for the advice, I did not know exact years on frame changes.

Why are there no reviews online regarding the different years? With mx it's group test after group test!

It is a shame our sport doesn't get more support. I've seen more mention of Trials in Dirt Rider magazine the last couple of years. Probably due to all the extreme Enduro guys who started in Trials. Hopefully it will keep getting better as Enduro riders realize Trials is the place to start.

• Like 1

Pulled the trigger on a 2015 Evo 300 standard, my dealer had a minders bike from the Worlds that were recently held at Stepping Stone. Only has about 8 hrs on it with a small scratch on the swing arm. Got it at a great price. I rode it for a short bit and found the suspension amazing and the power is not overwhelming. Dealer is installing slow throttle with the thick grips and ARC levers.

Thanks again for all the excellent advice!  

post-18646-0-77082700-1447190790_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

post-21956-0-86942600-1448425574_thumb.jpg

I was fortunate enough to get ifixfords "old" 2009 Beta EVO 250.  It is my first modern trials bike (I have an '86 Reflex).

I rode it last weekend and it was an amazing machine.  I'm glad ifixfords upgraded!

Edited by bikescribe
  • Like 2