Moving From 80 To 125

cubby

My young lad will be moving to a 125 this time next year but I'm already thinking about which direction to take.

He's big enough and currently rides an 80 Gas Gas Rookie so is used to the weight and size of a virtually full size bike.

But what comes next? Not so much a fan of Beta's, Sherco 125's seem popular but have changed for 2016, same with Scorpa's, who knows about Gas Gas, although I do like them.

Any advice or experience gratefully listened to  :)

My Lad is just going 12, he has a 2010 beta 80, just under 5 feet in height.

I have same dilemma.

My thoughts were :-

1) New Beta 80 - Downside he is likely to outgrow this after a year. New 80 is far more powerful ( and better front end) than 2010 model hence reason for change.

2) A 125 Not decided on model but Sherco or Gas Gas - ( Not Beta - Kickstart on opposite side on Beta 125 from 80 hence reluctance to build in another potential problem)

3) An Electric Motion Trials Bike - Interesting option -  quite and very easy to ride and power settings give you a lot of choice.

4) Do nothing for another 18 months and then go for option 2 or 3.

I have spoken to people who have gone for option 1, 2 & 3 so I suspect it is down to individual preference.

• Like 1

I have never understood why people think a left hand kick start is a deal breaker. Same as right side, unless you are missing your left leg.

have to agree have (mostly) rode Bultaco's and Beta's with left hand kickstart for the last 40 odd years but also ride a yam and beta Alp and can honestly say I never notice which leg I am using! ( yes the Alp also has electric start, but after a while of not using I tend to kick over a few times to prime oil/fuel)

Cubby...

My lad got off a big wheel Beta 80 onto a 125 2013 Gasser 1 year ago and he was 13, he was actually a tiny bit big for the 80... Now he's 14 and a year on Ive just got him a 2015 125 gasser and he loves it, so his 13 is for sale soon...! :)

Parts for the Gassers are still ok from 2011 onwards...

Kev.

• Like 1

Cubby,

Left Hand Kickstart,   you are probably right, just reducing odds for my son, I also had Bultacos many years ago.

May have been unlucky but every Beta I have had ( other than the one I bought for my Son) has been a pig to start and I have also had stator problems.

I thought I may have got more comments about the electric motion trials bike.

I was asked about youth riders and the EM. With the power specs put out be Electric motion, as far as it looks to me they are to powerful to meet the current ACU limit for both A & B classes of 10 bhp as measured at the back wheel. But I would love to get one on a dynamometer to check though.

I was asked about youth riders and the EM. With the power specs put out be Electric motion, as far as it looks to me they are to powerful to meet the current ACU limit for both A and B classes of 10 bhp as measured at the back wheel. But I would love to get one on a dynamometer to check though.

It would depend what mode you ran it in. Although it would of course be an 'on your honor' setting, since a flick of a switch is all i takes to dial it up. I'm pretty sure it'll make more than 10hp in top setting.

Cubby,

Left Hand Kickstart,   you are probably right, just reducing odds for my son, I also had Bultacos many years ago.

May have been unlucky but every Beta I have had ( other than the one I bought for my Son) has been a pig to start and I have also had stator problems.

I thought I may have got more comments about the electric motion trials bike.

I have ridden Beta`s since 1990. Usually one or two kicks. I even have a `86 for vintage, same thing one or two kicks. 1973 Sammy Miller Taco usually first kick. You either just have bad luck or something else. The Sherco would be the easiest to start, if that is the main priority.

Cheers for the comments guys :)

He's currently 11 and riding C class, done a few of the nationals this year and hope to do some more next season in his last year in that class, so it seems like he will be 12 1/2 ish when moving to the 125.

Doesn't sound like there is one particular brand or model that is head and shoulders above the others.