Traction In Slippery Mud.

stpauls

I have a Sherco 125.  In one particular section today, just a slight initial slope, soaking wet, in thick, slippery clay/mud, I could not get any traction at all - to even get near the tricky bits.  I have Michelin x11 on the front and an X lite on the rear.  Front was 6 pounds and the rear was 3 pounds.  I am around 15 stone.  What pressures might help? 

• Like 1

As said pressures seem right but you don't say what gear you you were in, always go at least one gear higher than in the dry and be smooth using the throttle, remember no spin equals grip! Weight on the back wheel and should work.

regards......

Hi

I was using 2nd gear.  

Hi, my suggestions are slip the clutch and never ever spin the wheel, once it starts spinning the traction is gone and keep that weight heaps back and low to maximize the tire footprint. Also keep the highest amount of pressure on the pegs possible, the instant you relief a tiny amount you'll lose grip, try to think "I want to snap my pegs!" That should give enough pressure! Practice practice practice do it a billion times and it'll come together

It all depends on the situation you face.

There are a few different ways to get traction in slippery conditions and all of them boil down to experience, practice and smooth throttle control.

The best mud riders are excellent at feeling what the back wheel is doing and then responding to it with the throttle and clutch.

Steve Saunders (ex multi British trials champion) is renown for being one of, if not the finest mud rider in the world. I've had the pleasure of watching and riding with him many times and have seen him use different techniques dependent on what was required to get the best traction.

I've seen him ride in a high gear, say 3rd using hardly any throttle, so the bike effectively "tractors" along at a snails pace.

I've seen him "burn" the back wheel in a high gear, say 4th so the back wheel is spinning so fast, but the bike is only moving at a relatively slow speed.

I've seen him use 1st gear and "tickle" the throttle short bursts of acceleration and then using momentum to keep the bike moving. I've also seen him use this technique in high gears.

The key is to go out practice these techniques and then confidently apply which ever is required for the situation at hand.

Unfortunately this only comes with time and experience (and good throttle control).

You will probably find in most situations, continuous momentum and limited wheel spin is the best approach - smooth throttle and clutch, slowly building up acceleration to create continuous momentum.

• Like 1

can't tell you how but it's never the bikes fault. it's about body position and riding technique. watch others on the day and try to do what the guys that make it do. on muddy climbs i try and dig my heels in, meaning i try and get my heels lower than the foot pegs and press / pull hard on the bars and push through my feet. i'm not good at explaining how to's

rob

can't tell you how but it's never the bikes fault. it's about body position and riding technique. watch others on the day and try to do what the guys that make it do. on muddy climbs i try and dig my heels in, meaning i try and get my heels lower than the foot pegs and press / pull hard on the bars and push through my feet. i'm not good at explaining how to's

rob

Thanks

Another tip if your rear rear tyre is clogged with mud you,ll get very little grip.

If my tyres clogged usually stick it in 4th hold the bike on the front brake (a static nose wheelie)and give it a quick burst of revs,catch it on the rear brake if you can before putting the rear wheel back on the ground.

Make sure it's clear behind you when doing this and doing it in a queue for a section can attract a few moans.

Have fun.

Hi, my suggestions are slip the clutch and never ever spin the wheel, once it starts spinning the traction is gone and keep that weight heaps back and low to maximize the tire footprint. Also keep the highest amount of pressure on the pegs possible, the instant you relief a tiny amount you'll lose grip, try to think "I want to snap my pegs!" That should give enough pressure! Practice practice practice do it a billion times and it'll come together

Always try to get grip by spinning a 125 to let it labour is a recipe for failing. 250cc and above different thing.

Where I agree that you wouldn't want to lug the motor on a 125 I find using the clutch to not slip the wheel has been my best experience on my wife TXT Pro 125, unless the mud was building up in the tire and I was trying to clean out tire... Just my exp.  (I should also include that this experience is from my first year on the bike in Seattle WA)

Edited by jonnyc21