Beta Evo Front Rotor Touching Caliper

jml

Hey all, 

On my 2010 EVO I noticed the other day that it looks like the rotor is almost touching/is touching the caliper towards the front end. The disc doesn't seem to be bent at all and I've double checked that everything is bolted on correctly (wheel bearings?!?) My front brake does sometimes feel a little stiff/sudden (on/off feel) and then goes back to being nice and soft but I assumed maybe piston seals or old brake fluid was the problem. Has anyone experienced this before? I think I might need to do more investigation. 

Edited by jml

• 3 weeks later...

I may have figured out the issue. It seems that the contact area where the caliper meets the fork leg, on the fork leg side has receded for some reason or another. This results in the whole caliper body sinking a little when it's fully torqued and in term skewing the entire caliper body. I believe a very thin shim on the upper caliper bolt between the caliper and fork leg should resolve this issue.  

Edited by jml

Sounds like the bolts may have come loose at some point. Carefully file the surfaces flat then shim it, I had this problem on a mx bike, the hardest job was finding a shim thin enough

Edited by hulmie
  • Like 1

Sounds like the bolts may have come loose at some point. Carefully file the surfaces flat then shim it, I had this problem on a mx bike, the hardest job was finding a shim thin enough

I was rocking the caliper back and forth to see if I could eyeball the gap, it's smaller than a bees dick. Going to need to find some ultra thin packing shims! Thanks for the reply too, I'll give the file a go!

Don't go too mad with the file just try to get it as flat as possible without losing to much meat from the mount, If I remember correctly I used some sort of food/drink can as all the washers I tried were too thick. I drilled the hole first then cut it out with tin snips. I had the bike for 3 years and it got raced hard and never had any trouble

Edited by hulmie