Discovered - Sammy Millers Original Bultaco Sherpa 669Nho

gasgas249uk

Hi Dabster

I'm not saying 669 NHO and NHO 669 A were issued in the same year.

What I'm saying is that 669 NHO and NHO 669 A could have been issued in the same year, as they are each distinct registration marks.

And NHO 669 B and NHO 669 C could have been issued in 1964 and 1965 respectively.

My record shows that the suffix 'HO' was issued by Southampton County Council, so where Dorset's  got involved, heaven knows.

Thanks for showing an interest.

Kind Regards

Sparks

Thats exactly what i thought you meant but couldnt see how it worked in getting any extra numbers without!

Hi all,a most interesting topic to follow,but a slightly off camber comment from me. Other countries have much simpler & better registration systems. For instance with your first vehicle in Switzerland you are issued a number for life.Change your vehicle,you retain your number.How easy is that ? How sensible. Regards,John.

• Like 1

I may be naive, but I would have assumed that Miller would have had several bikes and just swapped the rego plate onto the bike he was competing on that weekend. EOR 2K from all the photos I have seen was a miller highboy framed bike, so i am not sure how the frame and engine numbers would correspond if at all. It would be interesting to know where this bike sits in the evolution of the 325 engines as it appears to have all the model 92 upgrades, whereas some other photos I have seen have 325 engines in Model 80 frames.

Cheers Greg

Wouldnt that be illegal ? A bit like a certain family i know having to wait for plod to move off on a road trial before they could continue as they both had the same registration number on their bikes. Agreed it was common practice back in the day and may even be so now  :chairfall:

Hi all,a most interesting topic to follow,but a slightly off camber comment from me. Other countries have much simpler and better registration systems. For instance with your first vehicle in Switzerland you are issued a number for life.Change your vehicle,you retain your number.How easy is that ? How sensible. Regards,John.

John,

Sensible system but you can keep it.

The UK system a bit complicated but would this thread be a bit boring if we had your system. Many bikes and cars identity is defined by the UK registration. Sammy's GOV132 would be another good example. (Both of them! and ignoring the previous bikes to carry the number)

I own a 1935 BSA car. in the owners club we often refer to specific cars by the registration and this does not change when sold. The old registration also looks right on the vehicle In my  example two letters and 4 numbers. I can also confirm that some offices were issuing the older 2 letter 4 number registrations long after other offices had moved over to 3 letters 3 numbers.

Several posters have referred to the question was Sammy employed by Bultaco. Obviously the man him self could answer this but I seem to have read that at the time in question he was employed or at least had a contract with the Rickman brothers who had a workshop in New Milton not Bultaco and were at the time the official importers. Putting two and two together I think this would explain Sammy Miller moving from Birmingham to Hampshire about this time. I would also would not be surprised as to it being the Rickman brothers who registered the bike. Another point to bear in mind is that in the UK you do not need to be the owner of a bike or car to register it. You would be the registered keeper not necessarily the owner.

Stuart.

Edited by twinnshock

Hi all,a most interesting topic to follow,but a slightly off camber comment from me. Other countries have much simpler and better registration systems. For instance with your first vehicle in Switzerland you are issued a number for life.Change your vehicle,you retain your number.How easy is that ? How sensible. Regards,John.

Hi

If you think this is difficult, try the New UK State Pension.

This applies in 4 months time and nobody, but nobody, understands.

And yet it appears to be fully rigged so nobody will get more or less than on the current system.

So what is the point of a new system ??

Answers on a postcard, Please.

Edited by sparks2

John,

Sensible system but you can keep it.

The UK system a bit complicated but would this thread be a bit boring if we had your system. Many bikes and cars identity is defined by the UK registration. Sammy's GOV132 would be another good example. (Both of them! and ignoring the previous bikes to carry the number)

I own a 1935 BSA car. in the owners club we often refer to specific cars by the registration and this does not change when sold. The old registration also looks right on the vehicle In my  example two letters and 4 numbers. I can also confirm that some offices were issuing the older 2 letter 4 number registrations long after other offices had moved over to 3 letters 3 numbers.

Several posters have referred to the question was Sammy employed by Bultaco. Obviously the man him self could answer this but I seem to have read that at the time in question he was employed or at least had a contract with the Rickman brothers who had a workshop in New Milton not Bultaco and were at the time the official importers. Putting two and two together I think this would explain Sammy Miller moving from Birmingham to Hampshire about this time. I would also would not be surprised as to it being the Rickman brothers who registered the bike. Another point to bear in mind is that in the UK you do not need to be the owner of a bike or car to register it. You would be the registered keeper not necessarily the owner.

Stuart.

Interesting post,I think you may well be right.A while back I had a very early 247 Montesa,with a registration number close to that of the bike that "Sparky" Telling rode and I think won the Scottish on.I went to the Wiltshire records office and looked through their books,there it all was,Sparky's bike and mine a few numbers on.All on record and easy to access - should be the same with Sammy's bike ?

Sorry sparks,

I assumed Dorset because Sam's shop was in Dorset, but Southampton would certainly have been geographically much closer!

Sammys Shop was in New Milton, Hampshire or it certainly was when I visited him there. I have also seen his address as Highcliffe which is also Hampshire so Southampton would have been the recording office for registrations.

Hi

If you think this is difficult, try the New UK State Pension.

This applies in 4 months time and nobody, but nobody, understands.

And yet it appears to be fully rigged so nobody will get more or less than on the current system.

So what is the point of a new system ??

Answers on a postcard, Please.

we have to pay to provide a system, but no one wants it in outr firm.

Interesting post,I think you may well be right.A while back I had a very early 247 Montesa,with a registration number close to that of the bike that "Sparky" Telling rode and I think won the Scottish on.I went to the Wiltshire records office and looked through their books,there it all was,Sparky's bike and mine a few numbers on.All on record and easy to access - should be the same with Sammy's bike ?

I think the point here and above is that on a sunday in rural britain therearent many plod, back then there was no PNC so it would be "easy" to double up or swap regisration plates from bike to bike.

Im sure everyone knows a rider who either has no tax or licence even today, and take a chance plod are busy eleswhere.......

• Like 1