Recommissioning A 71 Sherpa - Advice Please.

johng2

Hi,

My first post here, so bear with me.

I have a 250 Sherpa Model 80 circa 1971 which hasn't run for about ten years. It was running fine when I "put it away" and has been kept in a heated garage.

Tank and carb were drained and some oil put down the cylinder. The bike has been turned over very occasionally over the years, always after a little oil being put into the cydlinder.

Sooo. There's an event I'd like to do over the Xmas break. It's the only thing I've got planned for it, so don't want to do any major work to get it going. But also don't want to damage the bike.

What's the best practice for recommissioning this bike, engine wise?

Just fuel it up and kick it....or what?

( I'm not really experienced on 2 stroke engines. I'd know what to do with a 4 stroke. )

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

John

PS: My old notes say 25:1 pre-mix with semi-synth. Does this sound about right?

Also, I guess I should change the fluids, so gearbox and transmission oil advice also welcome.

Thanks again.

Get a new air filter. The old one will be very fragile, and may get sucked into the motor, or be restrictive

25:1 is a lot of oil in the premix

If you have put oil down the spark plug hole a few times, it will be very smoky when it starts

The crank seals may need to be replaced due to old age

May need to disassemble the clutch to free the plates if they don't release when you have a test ride

Go for a test ride long enough to fully warm up the motor before you drain the oils

• Like 1

It goes :-)

Checked the air filter, bunged in some premix @ 50:1 semi-synth and after some kicking it started. But wouldn't tick over.

Stripped and cleaned the carb and it started easily and even ticks over.

Clutch was well sticky, but eventually freed up a bit. Will change fluid next time I ride it.

Whoopee!

• Like 2

Hi Johng2, all the above is sound advice,but if it was me in your situation,lube all cables plus the chain. Why ? Preventive maintainance really. A stuck throttle at the wrong moment & you are running into the back of someone or worse still something solid. Broken leg or arm or worse. That's their or your Christmas ruined,so please be sure the cables are in the best of condition. Also,I assume your crash helmet is not on its last legs as well ? Hope this motivates you a bit !! John JSY.