Still Spluttering - The Bugger!

sean65

Stripped carb again. Changed idle jet and re set the float and changed oil to Putoline. Starts fine, but still splutters. Played around with plug gaps (got three set up) Still not smooth. Stutters and not as crisp as I would like to think it should be. Hesitant and then bursts into life. I am always mindful of what me and my mate say about issues. If you think it's fuel it's probably electrics and vice versa. Are there any other check or thoughts out there please? Getting a bit frustrated now.

TXT 280 2001.

PHBL 26 Dellorto

BPR 5ES as recommended.

New to trials and 2 strokes. I know the reeds help with fuel/air mix. Could the be effecting the running?

If I get around to starting again later I will take a short video.

In my experience sputtering usually means rich fuel mixture.  In the video, it also looked like there was a little black smoke which also means unburned fuel. 

• Was the old plug black?
  • Is the air filter clean?
  • Did the bike previously run well with the current carb settings? (jets, needle position, etc.)  Dirt in the system will usually create lean conditions not rich.
  • From what you say, it cleans out at higher rpms.  It could be a leaky float needle/ seat or improperly adjusted float.
  • It certainly does not sound like a weak spark but a fully retarded timing may possibly do some thing like that.  Could the stator place have come loose and changed the timing?

The only thing I have done apart from clean is to have a 34 idle jet instead of the 31 that was in it. It went ok ish when I first had it although when I took it away it started ok and rode reasonably but then just started cutting out and then when left for a bit would start with a bit of choke. I did  wonder about the float valve but it didn't seem to be sticking. Bent the float tangs to 18mm as recommended by Kev at Gas Gas Motos and the oil. Other than that nothing. Unless you include the fact It needed a new fan rectifier.

Two weird things I have happen to me similar was I accidently got a piece of plastic in my exhaust when I had the header pipe off. Ran but sputtered above part throttle. Secondly was that my fuel needle had partially backed out causing my bike to run lean (lowered my float level) and that too caused a fuel starvation at partial throttle.

--Biff