Gear Selection

huski

Many thanks for your replies.

I got some additional information from 'thehellteam' website (all be it too late!)

I still cannot find the copper washer as a seperate part so I have ordered some 19mm copper bar to turn up a new one.

I can see how this can lock the gear selector if it's too tight but not how it can make it loose!

I also spoke to Freestyle who were very helpful.  They said it may be a worn or broken component/quadrant on the clutch side of the gear change mechanism.

I'll try the washer (easy fix) first and work my way up to taking the clutch off.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Edited by brucey

Selector mechanism is easily accessible if you remove the clutch,debris gets in the selector pawls and springs and makes things lazy.Its easy to strip and clean them.The gear lever has a long travel when it's right,it's just the way they are.PM me if you want to know more

Selector mechanism is easily accessible if you remove the clutch,debris gets in the selector pawls and springs and makes things lazy.Its easy to strip and clean them.The gear lever has a long travel when it's right,it's just the way they are.PM me if you want to know more

Many thanks Huski.

I checked my friends virtually unused 2013 Jotagas and found he also has around 100mm free play in the gear lever!  This is pretty much the same as mine!

I think I need to be a little less paranoid and go out and ride/test it in anger instead of just changing gears in the shed and frightening myself!

Thinking about it, there is no way replacing the copper washer will give the gearchange more throw.  However, I can see how it could jam the selector barrel making it harder to change/select gears.

Bruce.

• 9 months later...

Easier than you think.Needs a new gear change shaft,about £32 from Haven Trialsport.Take clutch casing off,clutch comes off complete,held by one Allen bolt onto the shaft.Selector mechanism is held by 2x8mm head bolts in the bottom of the casing.The change shaft knocks through to the clutch side,it's quite tight in the bearings.The new shaft pushes into the back of the selector drum.Theres a later shaft available which fits but it's £120.

Pm me if you like