Rear Wheel Sealing!

dmc2028372

Hello all.

I've just had a rebuilt tubeless rear wheel returned to me with the rubber band with the valve built into the band. Can anyone tell me the best way to get this band to seal into the rim. It was suggested to just use soapy water. I've also heard of various adhesive solutions to try and stick the rubber strip to the rim center. Any bright ideas please. Thankyou

Note before: My advice is based on an older bike 2010 model, with wheels that have a slightly shabby rim channel. A little bit of extra love was needed as my wheel surface isn't perfect.

I struggled big time getting the rim band to seal on my tyres, I would lose about 2 psi a day before I ended up finding a fix. My Dad recommended silicone grease (keyword here is grease that will never set, avoid sealants) all over the spoke nipples and on the bottom of the rim band. You need to ensure you clean any of the residual grease from the channel of the rim the tyre bead sits against with a cloth and some type of cleaner (contact cleaner my choice). I also left the tyre at high pressure overnight to make sure it compressed the rim band into the channel. For the first 2-3 rides excess silicone did oozed out of the spoke nipples, but that quickly subsided. Now it can hold constant pressure for weeks.

I believe part of the problem is the rim band needs to be lubricated well enough to allow it to relive friction it creates against the wheel and settle evenly around the wheel. The silicone grease gives it ample time to find a happy position on the wheel. When using soapy water I found it dried to quick to allow for this. 

Pro tips: Avoid car tyre sealing solutions like the plague. I have heard of MTB solutions like "Stans No Tubes" which remain liquid and never set hard, but never personally used it myself. I think the key here is correct lubrication and installation of the rim band. 

Edited by jml

Lots of soap and a little water will allow it to snap into place evenly and I've never needed anything else to fit one, but it won't cause it to seal if there is a problem with the wheel rim or spokes.

Silicone is known to cause aluminium corrosion and many will advise against using it.

I have also encountered a couple of those bonded valve rim tapes that were iffy.

On one or two I've found where the two ends are joined together when it's been made has been a bit thicker than the rest of the band and stopped the band fitting in the groove properly.

If this is the case it will arch over rather than fit in the groove in a U shape.

Silicone is known to cause aluminium corrosion and many will advise against using it.

Do you have any sources of information which explains this in further detail? I'm unable to find anything which talks about the reaction between Silicone grease and (Aluminium) alloys? From what I've read this might be referring to silicone sealants that dries and hardens which in some cases uses acetic acid to aid in the curing process. Apart from that silicone grease (not silicone caulking) from my understanding is inert?  :blush:

Edited by jml

Let's face it - the rim is designed to seal without sticky stuff.

If you have a new rim then you have spent quite a bit of money. Don't pennypinch using wash up liquid which causes corrosion anyway. Spend another couple of bob and get the proper tyre lubricant (which also happens to be the best stuff for fitting the tyre, strange as it may seem).

I use this and have never had a problem getting the band to seat, I just push it in to place with my fingertips where it needs that little extra help.

I bought a gallon of it about twenty years ago and it's still doing me. You could even sell jars of it to your pals if you don't want that much but at a tenner for 5 litres it's now cheaper than when I got it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

If you have a new rim then you have spent quite a bit of money. Don't pennypinch using wash up liquid which causes corrosion anyway. Spend another couple of bob and get the proper tyre lubricant (which also happens to be the best stuff for fitting the tyre, strange as it may seem).

I'll be giving this stuff a try for my next tyre change, never knew it existed until today. 

I've sealed the rim band with 'Plumbers Mait' It's a tacky none hardening putty and can be removed easily if needed. 

My tyre will keep 2 to 3 psi for ever (its been 14 months now) It's a 2004 rim and it's not in the best condition. It was fixed at first attempt.

Soap and Detergent are caustic and that is what eats Aluminium, cheaper ones can be worse as they have a greater salt content. I used the more expensive one that keeps your hands soft for 8years to lubricate my Enduro bike Moosses and that did not corrode the rims.  :thumbup: