Oset In The Forest

Hi guys , just brought my 2 sons for xmas oset bikes, 16 r and a 20 r, and was wondering what is the law about riding them in the forest, I've looked on the forestry commission site and can't find anything , basically I will ride my mountain bike and I will try and keep up with them lol

dingle is correct, it will be classed as a motor vehicle and its not really to do with the amount of power or lack of pedals.. But it really depends who sees you, what damage you are doing, how much noise you are making , scaring ramblers or dog walkers .... to whether you will have any problems or not.  

Well I beg to differ a little ..... You CAN legally ride SOME electric bikes where you would normally ride normal pedal cycles, and do so without a licence / insurance etc but they have to be below a certain power output, I believe they have a minimum age of 14 yrs and they have to have other means of propulsion (pedals), and something to do with full throttle acceleration / top end (I got bored of reading by that point) laws were updated a little while ago and are being updated again in regards to them in early 2016 iirc.

I totally agree however with the last sentence ...... Only problem is the police have the power to seize the bike if they so wish so I'm not sure I would risk it personally.

Edited by dingle

I would think it would depend on the particular forest you would like to ride in. Often times permission can be granted depending on which governing body is responsible for the land, Private, Municipal, County, Province, State, National. Here in Nova Scotia you are allowed on any trail that does not have a sign stating that you can't ride on it. I have yet to see assign restricting electric bikes :)

the laws are there for electric bicycles not electric bikes .. yes you can ride ( legal ) electric bicycles anywhere you can ride a non-electric bicycle.. legal bicycles can only have a max continuous  motor output power of 250W and must have working pedals and a top speed un-assisted of no more than 15mph ( these are uk laws, Europe has different laws so do the states and Canada ) but oset bikes are not electric bicycles ... 

How ever I have been riding my NON-legal electric bicycle for over 4 years ( 35mph @ 3kw ) on and off road without any encounter with the police or any complaints from the public. I also dont know of anyone who have had a problem riding anywhere off road on a electric motorcycle ( the osets are electric motorcycles ) myself included .. just be sensible where and how you ride and you will be fine.  

• Like 1

We've been round Sherwood mountain bike trails a few times with no bother. Also ride in local parks and woodland with no issue. Even riden past a policeman on a woodland footpath - he was more interested in the bikes than telling us off!

As others have said, remain responsible and you should get very little bother.

At the risk of diverting the thread, the place we've had most objection to the boy's riding has been trials! Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate the club's potential insurance implications for letting non entered riders ride and how relations with landowners can be damaged if an incident occurs, but it's also in a club's interest to promote the sport to the riders of tomorrow! Fortunately more and more clubs have a conducted route now but kids are riding from as young as two and can't compete until they are four!

Never had any problems riding in local woods/ park (10 year old on 20 racing) may be pushing it but I think it does trials no harm letting the public see the bikes out and about .

As for regular trials the wee boy and me bash round riding what stuff he can and improvised routes. Really try to keep it light