Any Bantam Riders Using A 3 Speed Motor?

andy m

Hi Andy , i also use the  4 speed engines , all i hear is the 3 speed gearboxes  are fragile , but how do they get on in road racing , some machines do 90/100 + miles an hour  .... :icon_rendeer:  :icon_rendeer:  :icon_rendeer:  :xmas:  :xmas:  :xmas:

Yes exactly, spoken to someone that builds a lot of Bantam 3 spd race engines recently, they don't hang about.

• Like 1

Hi there

my sons bantam which we got a few months ago is a 3 speed. I was a little worried that it may have been a bit higher geared, however it is fine with 14 tooth front and 62 tooth rear sprocket. It will run on tickover in a section no problem and pulls well.

cant comment on longevity as we havent had it too long.

cheers

John

• Like 2

Those of us who can remember the post office telegraph boys can remember the noise of crunching gears and yet I can't ever remember seeing one pushing a stricken bike back to the depot - and you rarely saw a new looking one - especially out in the country.

I suspect the procurement team would soon have found an alternative model if they had not proved to be reliable in service..........

Hi Guy's.

I remember Taylor-Dow manager (and expert trials rider) John Gleed riding his D1 BSA Bantam competition, about Banbury all week doing errands and collecting  spares.

And then showing us at the time young lads, how to ride a trials bike in sections on the little bike,at the week ends, and I can never remember the bike failing once. and the bike did get well used, and John would set off in what ever of the three gears it was in at the time. "Simples"

Edit to add a thought.

Perhaps a class for "THREE" speed Bantams would be a good way forward,or backward as the case may be.

Regards Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott